• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

(Bruce's)Egyptian T-34/100 Buddy Build-Academy/Accurate Armor-1/35th

iambrb

Started a buddy build project with Eric/erains) ...The Egyptian T-34/100. For this build we will only work on it when we can get together therefore it will be a bit slower than normal. We'll both use the same base kits. The Accurate Armor conversion, Academy T-34/85 and the Trumpeter BS-3 100mm gun.

Ok so Eric actually approached me regarding doing a buddy build, and suggested this particular vehicle, which he knew I had. So why this particular armored vehicle? Well for the last few years I have been steadily reading Modern Middle Eastern Military History, particularly that concerning the foundation and wars involving Israel. When I saw this thing on Accurate Armour’s site, I thought “how weird…I must build it!” A few weeks after my FIL passed away, I found a card containing birthday cash he had intended for me, so it was used to procure these kits. This build will be slow, but I want it to be. I want this one to be a real showcase, one I’ll think of Bobby Ray Smith each time I view it

DAViTVc.jpg

zRyRhQ2.jpg

After the 1956 war, Egypt found that it’s many T-34/85’s were becoming obsolete. They also owned a large number of towed 100mm anti-tang guns, which by their employment method were becoming obsolete. Hence the T-34/100 was borne. Basically, the Egyptians turned the turret backwards, and cut away the top, back, and front. In what had been the rear turret they installed the 100mm BS-3, and then welded steel plate in place to create a new turret. I have not been able to find any data as to the number converted, and only seen vague references that the guns were used in the 1967 and 1973 wars. I can find no references to it’s use in the battles for Al Arish or Abu Agelia, or Umm Qatef. In the 1967 war, Egypt abandoned very large numbers of equipment in the field, & I strongly suspect that these were in the southern Sinai, as these units essentially abandoned their gear without actually fighting, so that may be a partial answer

Unlike Eric I had owned my kit for some months, so I had it on hand to look over. The Verlinden interior is actually better molded than the kit’s interior, so I’ll tuck that back for another day

46eTtnh.jpg

Eric is DA MAN, whereas I am just a lowly junior builder. Also having never completed anything with an interior, I deferred to his lead, watching and learning. Work began with the fitting of the Verlinden interior kit and assembly of the lower hull. Here are a few pics of the inspiration vehicle and my progress thus far. Here is a great showcase of Eric's skill. In one of the pics, you can see some white styrene card. The interior will be affixed to that, so that it can be removed and replaced easily as it is painted, then glued in place once done! Easy-Peezy!

o8hyDB7.jpg

Tsnp5tV.jpg

So yeah, nothing exciting as yet, but stay tuned!

Some reference pics of the T-34/100:
kFTQaP7.jpg

(really digging the kooky pattern on this one)
YisIxE8.jpg

3Vpgo4O.jpg

Ey9HX4C.jpg

This is an Egyptian T-55 from a later period (1973 I think) but I like the shallow revetment and am thinking that might be the way to go with this puppy:
SNnVzxY.jpg

So it's finally off to a great start! I also have in route one of the very few books I have been able to find in English print regarding the Egyptian/Arab viewpoint of the 1967 war. Would be nice to find some reference to these!

:popcorn....never seen one of these before.
Ever since I saw this conversion on Accurate Armour more than 5 years ago I have wanted to build it

after the 1956 war Egypt combined their obsolete BS-3 100mm AT guns with obsolete T34-85’s.

The concept was a good one, but it lacked in application and execution. The Middle East is a dumping ground of various equipment and weapons, and with an equal set of modifications

FASCINATING!!

Well I know it doesn't look like much, but I got the interior about ('aboot' if you're in Canada) finished. The Verlinden interior got mostly ruined when the tank got rolled over, so I used the Accurate Armour interior pieces to fit it out. In some ways i like the AA interior better, but this sure makes for an interesting variation on the norm! That repair cost some time but the end result was wort it as you can see. Note that the upper hull is just placed on there to see how much of the interior will actually be viewable. Same for the turret - look at the turret in relation so the rest of the darn vehicle!!!
fLkPed7.jpg

Ejgakww.jpg

K9z8SrV.jpg

raSkcCF.jpg

CIPM8vZ.jpg

Most are from the kit, but I want just a few of the starfish wheels you suggest I buy (the Miniart ones). Most of the actual tanks that I found in real use had the late solid roadwheels, and a few have a mix. I am going for the mix; 2 on one side, and one on the other, just for giggles

WIP of Egyptian T-34/100. Kit is the not very good Academy T34/85, Miniart starfish wheels, Accurate Armour T34/100 conversion and Verlinden T34/85 interior

It’s very tough but ever so slowly, it comes together…..
E88BA84E-41EB-432A-A67B-440D5A405EFB.jpeg
B3B30EFF-03DE-4E80-88B7-70B1E219EA4D.jpeg
CF5DFB97-4552-4882-98D8-EDBE8C1816E2.jpeg
1F01AB86-D4C7-4AD7-92EB-6662AC075EAF.jpeg
A9D39B03-EDEB-48F2-A4A4-3E02A3D550B1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back