• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bowser HO 4-6-6-4 Challenger Cab Forward

Adam Baker

Thought that this would be a good time to finally pull out something I've had for quite some time.

I have an old Bowser HO scale 4-6-6-4 Challenger Articulated locomotive kit that belonged to my great grandfather.

The kit was partially assembled by my great grandfather, but he never completed it before passing away.

Included in the kit is a cab forward conversion, and the kit boiler has been altered to remove the standard cab on it.

I'm having trouble tracking down info right now, but my understanding was that cab forward designs were used in order to place the engineers ahead of the boiler stack, so that when traversing long tunnels, the crew didn't succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning, and other issues, associated with the exhaust created by the boilers.

So now on to the pic's.

Requisite start images.

Challenger_001.jpg

And the insides. This is how the kit was left from the last time that my grandfather worked on it. My plan is to disassemble everything, and start from scratch, to make sure that all parts are accounted for, and give me a chance to purchase anything that might be missing. I will also strip the paint on the tender, and then paint everything together after reassembly.

Challenger_002.jpg

And here are a few pic's of the parts.

This is the cab forward conversion. It's all metal, and all of the various detail bits are soldered in place, so it looks like I might be working at soldering the bits in place that have come loose over the years. I've never done this, so it's going to be a learning experience for sure.

Challenger_004.jpg

And then here's the articulated running gear and the boiler (w/ the std. cab removed)

Challenger_005.jpg

And then the 14 wheel tender.

Challenger_006.jpg

Adam the Cab forwards were used by the Southern Pacific Railroad exclusively at in California division and another thing you might want to know is that the is that bowser is still in business .... I am building a roundhouse metal locomotive that is similar to what you were doing and if you need any help ..... in any areas let me know as I have experience in this already .... :eek:ldguy

Yea, I spent quite a bit of time Googling last night, trying to find pictures of CF 4-6-6-4 Challengers and came up empty. And then what I found out was that the 4-6-6-4 Challenger was never converted to a cab forward. There are 4-8-8-2's & 4-6-6-2 Cab Forwards, but no 4-6-6-4's. I had a thread I started on the Model Railroader forum several years ago that I forgot about, and there were a few responses on it after I looked at it last, that had a few suggestions on changing out the trailing truck to make it a 4-6-6-2, but it would still have the wrong boiler configuration on it.

So, b/c of that, I think that what I'm going to do is look at sourcing a replacement boiler and go back w/ the stock std. cab configuration. I did remember that Bowser was still in business, someone in that MRR thread mentioned it, and I was actually able to find a replacement boiler back then by looking on ebay, but got outbid by a few bucks and that was the last time I tried anything with this.

It does look unfortunately like there are several parts that are missing, so I'm gonna have to take inventory of what I need, and then see what it's going to cost me to get them.

Adam the Cab forwards were used by the Southern Pacific Railroad exclusively at in California division and another thing you might want to know is that the is that bowser is still in business .... I am building a roundhouse metal locomotive that is similar to what you were doing and if you need any help ..... in any areas let me know as I have experience in this already .... :eek:ldguy

Ok Adam I'll help you with this because your Grandpa was building this one ....... info below .... :eek:ldguy

SOUTHERN PACIFIC Class: (AM-1?) AM-2 CAB FORWARD 4-6-6-2 Rd. No’s. 3900 – 3911

http://espee.railfan.net/sp_steam_mm-02.html ..... The best reference ....... :eek:ldguy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_AM-2 ...... Wiki link .... :eek:ldguy

h4688e26.jpg

Count the drivers looks like a 4-6-6-2 not hard to make and Your Gramps was probably headed this way ..... :eek:ldguy

Back