• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bombphoon, 439 Sqn, 2 TAF

RichB

I'll be in with this,

start~3.jpg

The kit includes decals for F/O A.H. (Hugh) Fraser's Typhoon Ib, RB281/X "Nicky". It was delivered to 439 Sqn on 28 Dec 44.

ac_281nnnnn_zps2b0cf1d0.jpg

On 01 Jan 45 he was returning with the early morning weather recce flight. The flight engaged a group of 15-20 FW190's attacking ground targets around Helmond. In the ensuing dogfight, F/O Fraser shot down 2 FW190's (one a "Dora"). The flight leader, F/O Laurence, also claimed two FW190's. F/O Angelini was shot down and killed in the action. The remaining aircraft landed at Vogel, returning to their home base at Eindhoven that afternoon.

On 14 Feb 45 F/O Fraser's section was conducting an armed recce north of the Reichswald Forest. Returning to base after successfully attacking a passenger train, they spotted two Me262's flying 4000 ft below them. The flight leader engaged one which blew up from hits by the Typhoon's 20 mm cannons. F/O Fraser engaged the second Me262. Hits were observed as it dived for the cloud deck. A few seconds later, a column of smoke was observed rising thru the cloud.

On 02 Mar 45 RB281's engine seized when returning from a dive bombing sortie. F/O Fraser made a forced landing north of the airfield. The aircraft was declared Cat AC and repaired.

HughFraserTyphoonib_zps61e92551.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

The Tiffie is one of my favorite ground pounders-- I'll be watching this one closely ;)

We've reached the end of Day 1 on the production line.

The fuselage halves have raised details for the cockpit area.

RHFuslg.jpg

Before joining the halves, tail wheel, the aft bulkhead and seat(masking tape belts added), the floorless structure, instrument panel (decal for instruments), wheel well boxes and radiator intake details are added.

LHFuslg1.jpg

A last look at the cockpit before close up.

LHFuslg2.jpg

With the fuselage assembled, the lower wing is attached. Before attaching, the holes for bomb racks (my configuration) or rocket rails need to be drilled out. As they are flashed over, it is easy to display the aircraft in a clean configuration.

Assy1~2.jpg

Assy2~2.jpg

Once closed up, not much is visible thru the cockpit opening.

Ckptclose.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Was up at 0 dark hundred this morning so opened the production line for a couple of hours before work.

The last major assembly was installing the cannons and upper wings. Airfix gives the option of opening up the gun bays. If you choose to cutout the bays, open doors with some interior details are provided. The twin 20 mm cannons are molded together with the bay details. Whether opening the bays or not it does make it easier to get the guns lined up properly.

Cannon.jpg

With the wings installed, it and the last few bits (landing gear, bombs, etc) got a shot of primer and it was time for work. This evening I broke out a hairy stick and got the Ocean Grey on the upper surface and painted the prop assembly.

OG2.jpg

OG1.jpg

Tomorrow will hopefully see the disruptive Dark Green pattern applied.

Cheers,
Rich

Got some colour on the belly in between odd jobs around the house the afternoon.

Belly~0.jpg

A few touchups to do and details to paint and prep for decals.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Rich

Back