• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Best available M48 and M113 kits?

DioRandy

Hey, gang
I'm thinking about building a diorama featuring a Vietnam-era M48 and/or an M113 and was wondering what currently available kits are worth looking into. I was satisfied with both of the Tamiya kits I built years ago, but I'm hoping someone "in the know" would be kind enough to provide me with some insight into the matter. Of course, I'd also be interested in aftermarket accessories, too.
I intend on using some of the beautifully sculpted figures recently released by Bravo-6 and Evolution Miniatures, where as, in the past, I would have relied upon Verlinden.
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or personal reviews.
Thanks,
Randy

Well Randy , I do not know heaps but I know that Academy also do a M113 and also for figures check out the range of Hobby Fan figures , they are available from Lucky Model and are freight free with airmail ! ;) They also come with the small bases shown , that can be used in other projects . They are crisp resin , occasionally the heads may be a bit yuck but Hornet etc do head sets which will fit .

Jenny :kiss:

Hi Randy.

Jenny has some good advice for figgies and such. And as far as the kits. The only option is still only the old Tamiya kits. I believe that the Academy kits are all clones of the Tamiya kits, so if you can find an Academy kit for cheaper you could save some money. But personally I always try not to do that as all it is, is paying Academy to be a pirate of Tamiya kits. In my mind it is not any diffrent than buying copys of Alpine figures from e-bay.

There are however some really good update sets and tracks for both kits from places like Hobby Fan, Legends, Verlinden, and AFV Club and Friulmodelisimo for tracks.

Gary

If I recall correctly, Academy's M48 was more or less a straight Tamiclone.

The M113's are a different story though. I believe they were based on the Tamiya originals, but have better detail and are more "correct" in certain aspects than Tamiya's offerings (which are all based on the original 1974 M113 kit). Some also inclued indy link tracks.

Phil said it!

Academy's M113 is much better than Tamiya's on several levels (such as including both link to link and vinyl tracks in their Nam release). The 'Nam release has some horrid T-50 and Zippo turrets but the rest is rather nice. Academy's Bucket has only a passing resemblance to Tamiya's.

For the Patton, go with Tamiya.

Regards,

Tamiya's entire line of M113 variants are derived from the original 1974 kit. This kit represented an early M113 with the petrol engine, and this is what's included with the three kits which include engine detail (M113, M113 ACAV, M106 Mortar) The petrol engine is not correct for the latter two variants, which were based on the M113A1 which had a diesel engine (which is represented in the Academy kits). The cabin interior is quite basic and lacks radios (included in the Academy kits. The fuel tank inside the cabin is also incorrect. (The Academy fuel tank is closer but is said to be too long).

Externally, all of the Tamiya kits (M113, M113 ACAV, M577, M113A1 FSV) share the early style (short) trim vane, which was extended in depth by approximately four inches with the introduction of the M113A1. This is correctly represented in the Academy kits. The trim vane lever on the Tamiya kits is a somewhat featureless flat stick, whereas the Academy version is better detailed and actually has the handle which projects upwards adjacent to the driver's hatch. The Tamiya kits also lack the external fire extinguisher "box" on the edge of the upper hull aft of the drivers hatch and I believe this is present on the Academy kits.

Some of these are easy enough to add using styrene strip:

Trim vane extension: (The additional folding "flap" extension is only present on the M113A1 FSV)
DSC00132.jpg

Fire extinguisher box (this is on the M113A1 FSV, but is at the same location on the other M113 variants)
ext1.jpg

Trim vane lever (Scratchbuilt replacement left, Kit part right)
DSC00136.jpg

These are just some of the issues afflicting the Tamiya M113 kits, pulled from memory. I'm sure there's more, and I haven't mentioned the latest iteration the "M113A2 Desert version" which also has its share of issues (a detailed look at this kit may be found here: http://strony.aster.pl/vodnik/pages/M113A2/m113a2.htm ).

Back