• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battleship Texas

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Found this video talking about the restoration efforts of Battleship Texas
The video is not very good (IMHO, narrator talks about what happened instead of showing what happened) but the restoration is real and now underway!

She's 112 years old and still looks like she could whip some butt. Hope they can save her!

Here's some photos I took of her when I was in Houston couple of years ago
1655484002480.png

1655484026175.png

LOOKIE!! A floating drydock!!!
Our kids live in Crosby, TX, not far from the grand Lady. The process should be interesting to watch, if they actually show any of it.

LOOKIE!! A floating drydock!!!
Our kids live in Crosby, TX, not far from the grand Lady. The process should be interesting to watch, if they actually show any of it.
Hopefully someone else will do a video of the actual process. Would have been interesting to see the dredging operation instead of hearing about it.

I like this guy better, (like the way he talks...) but wasn't much info in it. He says they are moving it in 4 weeks.

She has spoken!
Our presentor is a talker but I think I linked it to when they are testing the horn.
Said car alarms are going off in the parking lot after one test! :dude:

A ship's whistle was an important tool for navigation before radar as well as the ships bell. Now a days they are mostly used for ceremonys.

Looks like they are prepping the Texas for dry dock, saw a live stream on youtube but it's from a camera on the superstructure and you really can't see what's going on except a crane moving back and forth. Wish the vblogger guys did a better job at documenting this. I've read there's a professional crew recording this also.
Hope all goes well!

That's what I was confused about. The Battleship Texas foundation talked...and talked.. about how they were going to slip her into the floating dry dock and move her that way. I don't remember seeing or hearing of the change of plan.
Very cool she was able to tow out. Must have been something to stand on the bridge during this.

I see they got her dry docked and all water pumped out. I wonder when the last time the bottoms of that ship was out of water. Pretty cool to see.

I saw a comment the other day that while she was being towed she's the only US Battle ship that's floating right now. That was shocking, we really do not have any active BBs right now do we?

The time an American battleship flooded itself…on purpose: Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy, D-Day. Texas sailed with the Western Taskforce for Normandy on June 3, 1944. On June 6, in 34 minutes, Texas had fired 255 14-inch shells into Pointe du Hoc. As allied forces pushed off the beach, Texas moved closer to shore to support them. Originally stationed 12,000 yards offshore, she moved to just 3,000 yards from the beach. On June 7 and 8, she continued to bombard German positions. She was forced to return to England to rearm and was on station off of France again on June 11. By June 15 though, allied forces had pushed so far inland that their targets were now out of Texas’ range. In order to fulfill the requested fire missions, Texas’ crew had to get creative.
The ship’s massive 14-inch guns did not have the elevation required to lob their shots as far inland as the invasion forces needed. So, if the guns facing port couldn’t be raised any further, then the starboard side needed to be lowered. The starboard torpedo blister, a sponson on the hull below of the waterline, was flooded with water. This listed Texas two degrees to starboard and gave her main batteries enough elevation to complete the fire mission.

Came across that on the Book of Faces while checking out pictures. Pretty cool if true.

Thanks John. I think I have read this in the past. Amazing what 2 degrees will give to the range of a shot.

Back