• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battle of Britain day

paddy

Yesterday
The 15th of Sept was battle of Britain day here . Its widely seen as the darkest day and the turning point in the battle
This year they managed 15 Spitfires and Hurricanes on the day, Unfortunately the Battle of Britain memorial flight is still grounded following the crash of the Spitfire in August so these aircraft were missing (5)

TURN THE SOUND UP :)

109 on the taxi way! Get him!!! :pilot

Thanks Paddy, can't get it loud enough.

QV nailed the 3 point landing!

Got the PC rigged up on my JBL hifi 80's BIG speaker system in the cave , all the windows were vibrating...... and the missus probably to :bigrin:

Thanks for posting :good:
i would have been there this year but my Cousin got to sick to travel .
9 out of 10 goes for the Spitfire ,but look at that Hurricane :drool:

Last edited:
Here at 4 Wing we have the sole Canadian squadron to have participated in the Battle of Britain, No. 1 (RCAF) Squadron. They arrived at RAF Middle Wallop in June 1940 for training being declared operation in August and transferring to RAF Northholt. Equipped with Hurricanes, they provided air defence to south London claiming 30 destroyed, 8 probable and 35 damaged enemy aircraft. They also participated in the first attempt at the "Big Wing" tactic by the Northolt Wing in September. After 53 days in action, with 7 operational aircraft remaining, they were transferred north to RAF Prestwick in October. After a period of rest and refit they conducted coastal patrols over Scotland before moving south to RAF Digby in February 1941. In March they were renumbered as 401 Squadron.

The last plan I heard they will be the lead squadron for the F-35.

Cheers,
RichB

Amazing they were sent to Middle Wallop during the battle of Britain for training. Basically a sector station on the front line of 10 group.

Amazing they were sent to Middle Wallop during the battle of Britain for training. Basically a sector station on the front line of 10 group.
At the time, Middle Wallop was considered to be in a "relatively safe" sector for operational training. The squadron had been flying Hurricane Mk I's in Canada since February 1939 and brought their aircraft with them. In Middle Wallop they were brought up to the latest RAF configuration while the pilots conducted operational training.

Cheers,
RichB

Back