• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battery Marshall and other stuff

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
try to make a long story short...Years ago we stayed at at a beach house who's foundation was rather unique. I had no clue what it was when I first saw it but later in that visit I saw the same structure sitting out on the beach. It's a semicircle concrete structure with a rail embedded in it. Only when I started thinking of the history of the site did it dawn on me what I was looking at. It was gun mount for Battery Marshal. I suspect these were more modern structures from the "Coastal Command" era and not from the War of Northern Aggression time frame.

On a recent trip to Charleston I had the time to ride out to "Sullies", Sullivan's Island, of our SC Barrier Islands. I pulled up in the yard and took a shot for y'all to see. The house is build right on top of the structure. Yes, the house faired pretty well during Hugo, maybe some credit is due to it's foundation.

batterymarshal.jpg

Thought y'all get a kick out of this. :woohoo:

Cool picture! The emplacement appears to be of 1890's origin. See attachment.

Terry B)

797px-Us_costal_defense_1898.jpg

Yes Terry, I think 1890s would be correct. the northern emplacement is now sitting out on the beach because of erosion. These things only had 180 degree arc. I know there were powder houses further down the island, not sure how close the one for these guns would have been, I didn't see them. The Northern most gun is maybe 125+ yards up the beach. you can actually make it out on google earth.

Back