• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AutoCAD 3-D Max Design class

panzerace007

Hey Guys ,

I thought that I would share this with you. I've started My second Year in the Auto Cad program at My local Community College, it really is local .. It's right behind My house ! . This stuff is Off-th-Chain !! Hopefully when I get done next year I can put this to good use !! If it was in th Armor Hobby industry .. it would be Too Cool ! Any one want to start a Company like Live Resin & make 3-D printings of WW II stuff - Guns, bags , anything you can Imagine.

For My Semester Project last semester We as a student had to come up with an Object & render it into a 3-D environment. Of course .... I chose a piece of German Armor, something that I had scale drawings to . So, I chose th ever Menacing Jagd-Panther ! It's one of My favorites & I used th drawings out of the Panzer Tracts 9-3 on the Jagd-Panther G1 & G2 O.K. .. enough blabbing ... Here's th Money Shot

Jagd-Panther_final_IV.jpg

Now ... to save time , as I was under a Real Deal Deadline , I chose to skip the Pioneer tools & a couple of other small details. The Color .... I'm not too happy with. If I had a color chip of Dunkelgelb , it would have made it a lot better, I was stuck with th palette that is in th system & even trying to mix a color it came out either too tan or yellow. I drew Everything, every little nut & bolt on th Wheels etc. In this picture you can even look up into th Barrel !

Jagd-Panther_photo_2_.jpg

I also placed th JP just North West of Mailly la Champs ( Their proving ground) @ 3:30pm on June 17th where th 654th came into contact with th Canadians for th 1st. time ! AUTO CAD can work with Google maps etc for Time of day & placement of Objects !! :woohoo: So you get a real time feel of the Object in a Real environment !

Jagd-Panther_photo_1.jpg

I also placed over 1500 real trees & grasses into th scene & used arial & panoramic shots of the Battle field to make it more realistic !

Jagd-Panther_AMPSCV.jpg

Then where th Balkenkreuz normally goes I slipped in My AMPSCV chapter logo ! :rotf

test.jpg

Then I played around with th lighting & moved th Sun to later in th Evening - 6:30 ......

Jagd-Panther_final_V_.jpg

This semester finds Me adding to th JP & getting Her rolling across th field & adding Dirt , Mud , & some dusty clouds as th JP strolls into battle !!

:notworthy :notworthy
Been fiddling around with 3d-cad so i know what you must have gone through making this little masterpiece!
Sweet looking JP!! (y)
//Mats

That is awesome Erik!!! I use AutoCAD everyday, but not in 3D, just designing boring 2D process equipment. :(

I'm so jealous!

Tom

MATS,

Yeah Brotha' ! At times it was a real headache ! GOod thing I could draw one of those Bolts on th Wheels & create an Array pattern & copy all of them ! :D

The soft ware that I'm learning on is from Auto Desk ! Man ... Some really Cool stuff !!

TomN - Talk to th Boss ... Tell 'em YOU need this 3-D Max Design from Auto Desk ..... You can bring those boring 2-D Drawings to Life & show th Client what it's gonna look like in real time & in a Real environment ??

Thanx again guys for th kind words !!

:drinks :drinks

Very nice work!!

I took 2 semesters of AutoCAD while working on my assoc. in Machining Tech, but just couldnt ever get it worked out to take the 3rd class, which breaks into the 3D side of things.

Last Fall I took a class on Advanced Solid Modeling using Solidworks, and then in early December I started a new job as a CAD Designer using Solidworks, and I absolutely love the work.

I've started doing design work for a couple of guys that will be used to create 3D printed models, that will then be used as masters for resin casting. I'm working on my first paid job right now.

@ ADAM - Thanx fro th kind words ! I would love to break into that .. designing Masters ! Cool Deal !!

@ :mpup - Thanx for th kind words !

:erik

Its fun, but it can be pretty frustrating too.

And I'm also finding that before I did this for a living, I'd come home from work at night, and it wasnt much trouble to hop on and use Solidworks for 2 or 3 hours, but now, when I get home, I'm finding it difficult to get on and work on it. I really gotta get my butt in gear on the project I'm workign on now.

Here are a couple of the things I've done so far.

This was the first one I've done, a Russian UB-32 unguided rocket launcher. Will be cast in 1/35 scale.

UB-32Isometric.jpg

The second is a turret for a Soviet naval destroyer, called an AK-176. Its modeled w/o the barrel, b/c there's a company that does turned barrels for this type turret. I have 3 more that I'm doing for this same person.

AK-176_01-16-12-01.jpg

Back