• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Arii F4U-1

Barney

OK...

Since I have been totally [strike]shamed[/strike]... inspired by looking at everyone else's work...

Here is me practicing my mad skills on a Arii F4U-1...

ThePit.jpg

The engine... It really stinks, but what do you expect for a $5 kit?

Engine-1.jpg

Stuff ready for putting together...

AlmostReady-1.jpg

Last night I masked it (Halloween... how appropriate!) and shot it with clear coat to seal the masks...

masked2.jpg

So, there you go... I just hit it with the RLM 75/ EX dark Ocean gray (whatever) and will take off the masks tonight...

we shall see what we shall see!

Wow some of those ARII kits are really nice. With a little sprucing up I think one would come out great. Add a little wiring to that
engine and put the cowling on and it will be good. Nice going!

(y)

I'm guessing they are representing the magnetos, way too big and hardly the correct shape but the cylinders themselves are a bit strange as well and shouldn't this be posted some where other than the introduction forum ?

I am a BIG fan of the Otaki/Arii line. They are sparse in cockpit detail and the like but they build up nice and look the part. Can't wait to see how you do this one up Barney.

Oh Bob ! You need to get out of the shop more often to smell the plastic . . . Go Barney ! An old brand but It should build fine. :nothingtoad

Cheers, Christian B)

HOHOOHOHOHO, I don't even know where we could find these brands short of a show or a swap meet....Any clues ? :rotf :rotf :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

These kits are all over the place on ebay... I just picked up a Spit VIII for $7.31 including shipping... even as broke as I am, I can afford $7 bucks... especially since I already have some cool decals!

OK... Back to work...

RProfile.jpg

LProfile.jpg

LCanopy.jpg

I am overly proud of my semi-mad skills with the canopy mask! I have tried free-styling before (terrible result :bang head ) and bought masks, but this is my first successful masking... all on my very own... (y)

Now for the decals... First tried the kit decals... they disintegrated... in water! a set of Hasegawa? melted in MicroSet... so now I am trying a set of revelo-gram decals from a SBD... Accuracy just flew out the window, but WTF? I am learning and having fun... and my GF is all kinds of impressed...

You nailed it Barney by saying "I am learning and having fun" that's the key. The masking did come out good. Sorry to hear that about the decals but then this happens form time to time esp. when those are getting old.

and it is done... There are a thousand mistakes and I can spot every one of them... So what? I am pleased... and will do better, next round...

profile.jpg

bottom.jpg

The decals are not wavy... that is my camera....

:drinks

Cheers!

'Now for the decals... First tried the kit decals... they disintegrated... in water! a set of Hasegawa? melted in MicroSet... so now I am trying a set of revelo-gram decals from a SBD... Accuracy just flew out the window, but WTF? I am learning and having fun... and my GF is all kinds of impressed...'

A friend of mine claimed back in the 80's that hair spritz -I don't know the brand- would help keep old decals together long enough to get then on the kit.

He would cut them, then spray and let dry then do the usual install. But Brian was exclusively an RC modeler, I don't imagine the decals are all that different. I never tried it but he claimed to several that it worked.

I have some testor decal cover stuff... I'll try that next time i break out the old decals!

Barney,

Nice job on the kit, this is how we learn.

Some facts to help you decide in the long run... Arii/Otaki kits are pretty good shape-wise. Hobbycraft used them (for their F4U series) as a starting point and improved the engine, cockpit, propeller, wheels, and scribed all the panels.

This means any detail sets or decals designed for the Hobbycraft kit fits the Arii/Otaki.

Had I seen your post before (I was off line for quite a while thanks to a freakish October snow storm), I would have offered you my Hobbycraft engine and some decals.

In the end, you had fun and the GF was impressed!

Regards,

PM me your postal address and I will try to get some engines out to you, perhaps even some decals if you aren't picky about markings.

Regards,

Back