• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another Cobra.

Frank

Thanks to Gary S, we will be bringing another Cobra to the party.
Settle back, grab a cold drink and popcorn.
On with the show.
20200609_104738.jpg

Gary sent me these wonderful teeth markings for a Cobra.
I queried my inventory, found the proper container. So into the stash I ventured.
When I returned, it always takes me a few minutes, (Ok maybe an hour), I had this in hand.
20200609_105647.jpg

Gary has also been kind enough to allow me to use this photo as a reference for the build.
2016-01-05_144332.jpg

This is an early model Cobra with the glass nose.
The great part about this Cobra is the dual 20 mm's on the pylons with nineteen shot rocket pods
The Special Hobby kit will allow me to complete this version.
20200609_104017.jpg

Either tail configuration.
20200609_104046.jpg

Different skid set up.
20200609_104104.jpg

Proper pylons
20200609_104344.jpg

Proper nose turret.
The build will start in the next few days.
Hope you enjoy the build.
Frank
:choppa:

Awesome. This is actually the same kit I have. Looking forward to seeing how this one goes together.

100_6084.JPG
100_6085.JPG

The early Cobras had the clear nose, lt. side tail rotor and the guns on the wing are not 20mm, but are XM-18 miniguns. Also the ammo pack on the fuselage was not used. And don't forget to tint the canopy blue and the rotor hub was lt. gray. Good luck!! Never enough Cobras. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Attachments

• 100_6084.JPG
    100_6084.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_6085.JPG
    100_6085.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Wow, nice bird! In that second pic, it looks like the pilot is banging his head on the canopy! LOL! Most probably the angle of the pic and the curvature of the canopy that created that optical illusion.

It's close, but not touching. The guy in the front is me and the pilot is W/O Sullivan (Sully). I still have my blue helmet. On one mission, Sully was in a left bank keeping an eye on the loach below, when a round came thru the canopy. Good thing he was leaning to the left or else it would have shot him in the face. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Thanks. I wasn't on board at the time because I'm not a pilot. I was a crew chief. The front gunner is a pilot and the guy in back is the aircraft commander. I went up on "test flights". These were times when my pilot said," Come on let's go flying", and we did. I do have 2 combat missions in a Cobra though plus about 160 hr.s as a door gunner on Hueys. Best job I ever had!!! Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

I like your perspective as you build. Many years ago I read a book, if I remember right it was called Low Level Hell. It was about the hunter killer teams. The loaches would fly low and find trouble and the cobras would dive in and fire on the targets. Very good book.

View attachment 124357View attachment 124358

The early Cobras had the clear nose, lt. side tail rotor and the guns on the wing are not 20mm, but are XM-18 miniguns. Also the ammo pack on the fuselage was not used. And don't forget to tint the canopy blue and the rotor hub was lt. gray. Good luck!! Never enough Cobras. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Thanks for the update Gary.
How did they feed the miniuns?
Blue tint on Canopy, got it.
Gray rotor? Corrosion control?
Learning how too door gunning.
Frank_Sept81.jpg

2016-03-01_133816.jpg
2016-03-01_134104.jpg
2016-06-14_125051.jpg

4thcav.gif

M18_Components.jpg

Yep, lt. gray rotor hubs. The blades were OD on top and black underneath. The miniguns were self fed in the XM-18 container. They jammed quite a lot. See the next post. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Back