• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AnkerMake printer

I've been a fan of this company and it's subsidiaries for a while now.
Are you guys hearing anything about this printer?

I've been a fan of this company and it's subsidiaries for a while now.
Are you guys hearing anything about this printer?

I dont know if you mentioned it before or someone else but I havent heard much about them apart from that. You have to be aware of what you want to do though before buying a printer. That one is a FDM printer and they dont lend themselves well to fine detail. There is less odour from them and there is a lot you can do. I am almost finished printing my modular hydroponic planter on my Elegoo Neptune 3Pro FDM printer and I have made a lot of cool stuff. I use it mostly to make bases for the figures. To print more detail oriented stuff for modeling though the resin printer is the way to go. Its a bit more expensive and smellier and requires more post processing work, but you get amazing models and parts from it. So unless you get sucked into the 3D abyss and buy 2 different types of printers you need to determine what exactly you want to do.I printed some more switches on the resin printer this weekend and currently printing a fan cover for a desktop air filter on the FDM printer before printing the last 3 plant pots later today.
James

I have a first generation Elegoo resin printer, anyone know anything about its resolution?
If it is an Elegoo Mars 2 it should have a resolution of 2K. The Mars 2 Pros, 2S, 3, and 3Pro have 4K resolution, the Jupiter 6 K resolution with a huge footprint. The Saturn and Saturn S have 4 K resolution while the Saturn 8K has 8K resolution.The Saturn 2 has a resolution of 8K with a large footprint. I love the Saturn 2 personally and have had amazing results using it and Siraya Tech Navy Grey ABS Like resin.
James

How many printers you have James?
Too many. I started with a Mars 2 Pro but found the build plate kind of limiting. I bought a Saturn and with its bigger build plate I printed off a lot of items. While waiting for the Saturn 2 to come out I got a Saturn S which was basdically an unpgraded Saturn with a slightly bigger build plate. As soon as the Saturn 2 was available I got it and love it. I've had amazing results and made some very finely detailed parts. I highly recommend it. Trying to sell the Saturn and Saturn S so I can buy a second Saturn 2. Right now I have the 3 SLA printers but only really use the one. My wife got me a Neptune 2S FDM printer for Christmas a year ago along with a honey do list. I then got a Neptune 3 when it came out last year and then with the Amazon gift cards from family got the Neptune 3Pro. It is amazing. I'm now trying to sell the Neptune 3 as I have no room for it. If I had more room I would probably start a print farm. While I have made bases for figures with it and the APC from Aliens with it, I primarily use it to make stuff for around home and tools and toys for the grand kids. I am almost finished my modular hydroponic garden and have built a desktop air filter for a good friend for when he models. I also printed out the box to build a hand held curing machine for curing inside the figures. Thats the long story. 2 primary printers although I want more and 3 printers I am trying to sell. I wont sell here though because shipping would be insane and the risk of it being damaged is too high. Its cheaper to buy them on Amazon.
James

I am interested in this 3D printing, but lost in all that it entails.
From what I understand:
8k resin printer minimum (for what we do).
Slicer software (what is this?)
A curing station. If your in no hurry, why not wait?

What am I missing? Thanks

From what I understand:

I can tell you what the slicer software does. In the computer you have your "item". Let's say it is made up of various shaped bit balls, blocks, etc. In the end you end up with the widget you want to print out in 3D.
What the slicer software does is cut the widget into the layers that the printer then prints out. It might do more like orient the part and add the supports so it can be printed out the most efficient way, but then James can confirm that.

From what I understand:

I started with a Mars 2 Pro and it was 2K and gave some very nice detail. I moved up through 4 K and now have a Saturn 3 with 8K resolution. Well worth the money and great detail. I've post lots of pictures showing the evolution. The slicing software is used to translate the file format, either STL, STEP, 3MF etc to a file the printer understands, allowing it to print that file out. Printers come with the slicer software but that doesnt mean you can use another slicer program. You're going to have to decide on whether you use water soluble resin or alcohol. I use Siraya Tec Fast Navy and it is by far the best resin I have used. The cleaning and curing station can be a simple as a Tupperware container of alcohol or water and the sun or as easy as a cleaning and curing station which has UV lights to do a final cure and ensure the part you printed is completely stable. You want to make sure your part is clean and cured as resin is toxic. I've written a few pieces in the 3D section answering questions etc if you are interested and maybe you can find your answers there. If not ask away and I'll try to help.
James

Thank you all for the answers. What started me serious looking at 3D prints was a number of things. The files to print many things I use are available online. The price of printers are not that expensive. The Saturn 2 8k (XY Resolution 7680*4320) is $300. The Saturn 3 12k (XY Resolution 11520x5120) is $379. Is the resolution of the Saturn 3 worth another hundred? Of course the resin and other things are a reoccurring cost. I will never print over 1/32 and will print 15mm war gaming.

Robert it is probably a little like when I needed to get a new printer. Years ago my wife and I bought a wide carriage Epson printer. Never got much use out of it and she passed away a couple of years later. Then Windows WP came out and the printer driver for it was horrible. Never used that printer again. I bought a Canon photo printer and used it until I got a new computer and with the new operating system that printer no longer had a driver at all. This time I spent a little more and bought a wide carriage Canon iP8720 that will print up the 13" wide and long sheets. I use it a lot. I do mostly regular 8 1/2 x 11 stuff with reference photos for my builds, but it has also printed out several large photos for special instances and I did a 1/48th scale printout of a p-38 for reference to do riveting (which turned out really decent). Right now I just don't have any place to put a 3D printer.

Thank you all for the answers. What started me serious looking at 3D prints was a number of things. The files to print many things I use are available online. The price of printers are not that expensive. The Saturn 2 8k (XY Resolution 7680*4320) is $300. The Saturn 3 12k (XY Resolution 11520x5120) is $379. Is the resolution of the Saturn 3 worth another hundred? Of course the resin and other things are a reoccurring cost. I will never print over 1/32 and will print 15mm war gaming.
The Saturn 3 is very much worth it. I would like to try the 3pro as it is supposed to be even better and has a range of new features, just no money for it right now. If you wait long enough a 12K printer will probably show up this year. Its constantly evolving. The biggest thing is it can be addictive and get expensive.
James

I have first hand knowledge of how sharp and crisp James' 3D prints are. There must be some technique or experience involved when you start with a new STL (?) file.

I was close to buying something but found out Cindy had plans on new washer, drier and fridge. On the same day! :frantic:

New hardware eh? Sounds a little like she wants the latest fashion devices. I have a 16 year old fridge and the washer and dryer are somewhere around 30 years, maybe more as they were my late wife's.

Not fashion over functionality. Lesson learn not to buy appliances made by cell phone company, nor cell phones from appliance makers. But let's not hijack the thread.

Back