• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

An Oldie but goodie. Darth Vader.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Got everything painted.

The kit parts come with an excellent finish, especially the gloss parts. I imagine many will build it without painting. Having said that, I have been there and done that and have never been satisfied. It always looks like plastic to me no matter how good the plastic finish was.

So, I painted everything. First, the high gloss parts. The shin guards, the shoes, the shoulder armor and the helmet.

00000.JPG

The face mask, In the movie, was all gloss black. Due to scale, when it is all gloss, the various parts do not stand out, especially the eyes. So, I sprayed it flat black. Then I glossed the eyes and all parts that faced the viewer. That allowed the individual [parts of the mask to stand out, again, especially the eyes, which, at least to me, are the most important features of the mask.

Here are the flat black parts before painting. They're not especially glossy, but they have a sheen that is unrealistic to me. By the way, this kit is, more or less, a Snap-site kit. No glue needed. However, the coats of paint made it necessary to use glue here and there.

0.JPG

Especially with the cape and other draping, Vader also has a skirt like material like the cape that fits at the waist and is only open in the front. Painting them Matt black only didn't really give the illusion of cloth I was looking for. So, I shot them with a clear Matt varnish and immediately used a old and large brush with stiff bristles. Then, I ground a black pastel stick into powder,.

00.JPG

And then, while the Matt varnish was still slightly wet. I dipped the brush into the powder and using a jabbing motion, applied it to all surfaces of the "cloth" parts. Here are the various parts of the cape with the pastel powder applied. The two pieces of "Skirt" are the two horizontal pieces at the top of the photo. I think the pastel powder gives them the texture that more closely approximates cloth.

0000000.JPG

000.JPG

These are the ":Flat" parts after spraying with flat black enamel and before applying the pastels to the cloth parts.

0000.JPG

Here, once again, are the Gloss parts. I actually gave the helmet 3 more coats after this photo. It was extraordinarily glossy in the movie and I wanted to get as close to that finish as I could.

00000000.JPG

Here are the "cloth" parts compared to the high gloss parts.

oooooooo.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob
 

jknaus

Administrator
Very cool. I love how you did the cloth. That is such an awesome tip. I definitely need to try it.
James
 

Heavens Eagle

Well-known member
OH MY!!3D_emoticon_201.gif Letterman is doing STAR WARS!? What is the world coming to?3D_emoticon_34.gif

3D_emoticon_187.gif
Looks Good Bob! I like the fabric texture with the pastels. Will have to try that.
 

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
And then, while the Matt varnish was still slightly wet. I dipped the brush into the powder and using a jabbing motion, applied it to all surfaces of the "cloth" parts. Here are the various parts of the cape with the pastel powder applied. The two pieces of "Skirt" are the two horizontal pieces at the top of the photo. I think the pastel powder gives them the texture that more closely approximates cloth.
so that's how you do it!! :notworthy
Looks great so far Dad..
 

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
OK, I'll call this one finished!

I would have had it finished earlier but....I'll bet everybody here has had this experience. I was test fitting one of his two belt "control panels". All of a sudden it went flying in the air and where it landed? Forget it! I pulled out all the desks, shelves, got a flashlight, no chance in hell! There has to someplace where those parts go to and stay there for eternity, that is, except after it is finished and on the shelf. Then they sometimes appear on top of you desk, unencumbered by any other parts, tools or paints. Just sitting there!

Anyway, I got tired of looking and used the remaining panel to scratch a new one. Made a tiny box, then stretched sprue buttons, and evergreen strips for the flip type switches.

0.JPG


00.JPG

OK, here it is finished. It is around 120 to 150mm in height.

000.JPG

I was surprised at the number of parts in this kit, much more than I would have expected, but, it went together well and painted well No complaints! I painted the light saber white, then used a strip of micro tape and then painted it Florouscent red and orange. That's the best light effect I could come up with.

I used a lot of Humbrol Polished Steel paint and then buffed it out to achieve the metallic effect. The primary colors are Testor's Flat Black and Gloss Black. I also used a lot of Humbrol clear gloss enamel, especially in the facial mask.

0000.JPG

A shot from the rear to illustrate the"cloth" effect of the flat black paint and stippled black pastels. The helmet has a super high gloss finish that I was trying to achieve.

00000.JPG

These are a bit closer up to show the details.

000000.JPG

"Luc, you have no idea of the Power of the Dark Side"!

0000000.JPG


And that's my trick! :)

Enjoyed this one Mike, But now, back to the beast!

Thanks for looking in!

Bob
 
Last edited:
Top