• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

An afternoon with Bob

Heavens Eagle

Friday I had the opportunity to make a day trip from Tulsa up to Springfield to visit with Bob Letterman. An easy trip it only took about 2 1/2 hours to actually get there.

I was met by Bob and his wonderful wife Susan at their house and he took me downstairs to the museum while Susan went off shopping and and got mauled at the Mall ;) . (Hey it was Black Friday, wouldn't find me around one)

He showed me his work area and we started visiting. I didn't take a lot of photos, Bob has posted photos of most of his collection elsewhere on out forum here so I just took some interesting shots. Mostly is was listening to all the wonderful stories, many of them concerning other well known model makers of which he has a number of their large dioramas in addition to his own creations.

I guess it is true in that time flies when you are having fun. Four and a half hours later it was time to head back and it only seemed like I had just arrived.

Thanks for letting me come by to visit and meet you and your wife Bob! Hopefully we will be able to get together again soon!

One of the dios built by someone else. A 1/48 PBY picking up some B-29 survivors.
L-M-01.jpg

L-M-02.jpg

This vehicle has an interesting story behind it. You will have to ask Bob about that though. :D
L-M-03.jpg

L-M-04.jpg

Here I am standing in front of Logistics. The photos Bob has posted just do not give a true idea of the size.
L-M-05.jpg

Another well known Bob Letterman Dio behind me. The size is 4 foot deep and 6 ft wide. It also has some history.
L-M-06.jpg

Lots of glass cases. It isn't as big as you might think but is quite full. You could spend hours in here and not realize it.
L-M-07.jpg

Here I am standing with the master!
L-M-08.jpg

Some souvenirs.
L-M-09.jpg

I am sure that I missed much more than I saw! But then I was mostly focusing on the Logistics build. I took several photos of it. Unlike the others which are under glass, Logistics is still open where I can put the camera in between the buildings and take close up a detail photos.

Next a visitor's view of Logistics.

Nice shots Paul. Hope to make it out there myself at some point, wings and beer was very cool but would love to see the collection.

OK, I am just going to post the photos. The only comment is this thing is quite a bit larger than it appears in the photos. The Krupp rail gun gives the impression in the photos of being about the size of the Hasegawa kit.

WRONG!

That sucker is 36 inches long. It is huge, but looks tiny compared to the rest of the scene.

Here are the visitor's view photos of the Logistics build. Thanks for letting me poke my nose in here and take a close look around Bob!

Logistics-01.jpg

The street in front of the museum. This is actually fairly wide and roomy. My guess it will look a bit like times square when done.
Logistics-02.jpg

The front of the museum is WOW! :woohoo:
Logistics-03.jpg

Still in process, don't count on anything being in it's final place yet.
Logistics-04.jpg

One of the damaged buildings. Most dios would only be a partial building or a wall.
Logistics-05.jpg

This is viewed from the other side of the build. When I saw it I immediately thought of "Enemy at the Gate"! It is basically hidden from the side with the train and rail gun.
Logistics-06.jpg

Definitely not plaster and wood. :D
Logistics-07.jpg

Another wide street with a trolley car running in front of the heavily damaged building.
Logistics-08.jpg

The elevator motors in the attic.
Logistics-09.jpg

The master next to his creation.
Logistics-10.jpg

It's awesome Bob! Thanks for the tour and the visit! :drinks

I really enjoyed having you visit Paul, Moon Pup said he would beat me up if photos weren't posted! So thanks for that as well.

Paul, (Heaven's Eagle), is a tall glass of water! Makes me look like a shrimp!

I'm an old retired guy now, so would love to have visitors if you happen to be anywhere close, just email me and let me know so I'll be sure to be here!

I hope to do a big photo spread on the museum soon. It isn't quite finished as yet!

Bob

B) great shots, thanks Paul.
I wish i could visit Bob but i am a little further than a couple of hours away....lucky man.
thanks for sharing.

Ian.

Nice shots Paul. Hope to make it out there myself at some point, wings and beer was very cool but would love to see the collection.

Wings and Beer in the Carolinas were great son, but, I would love to have you visit the big MO!! I really enjoyed meeting you, Adam and Christian! That seems like a long time ago now!

Well, don't fool around, at my age, you never know......... :yipee

Dad!

I wish i could visit Bob but i am a little further than a couple of hours away....lucky man.
thanks for sharing.

Ian.

Man, it would be great to see you again ian. What's it been? About a quarter century since that Mastercon?

I seriously doubt if I will ever be globe trotting again, but you're still a young whippersnapper. Love to see you again!

Bob

Paul and I were supposed to go up there together that Friday but I needed to attend to a friend of mine who is having health problems and needed to help liquidate his stash. Our club bought that stash Saturday and it took quite a bit of time loading and what not getting things done.

I am sorry that I missed such a good and resourceful trip.

Paul and I were supposed to go up there together that Friday but I needed to attend to a friend of mine who is having health problems and needed to help liquidate his stash. Our club bought that stash Saturday and it took quite a bit of time loading and what not getting things done.

I am sorry that I missed such a good and resourceful trip.

Hi Paul,

Sorry you couldn't make it!

You do live in the Tulsa area, right?

You're always welcome, just give me a PM to makes sure we;ll be home! We'd be happy to have you !

Bob

WOW ... excellent Museum ... I'll be up there one day when the Hobby shop burns up from on-line sales ... putting me out to pasture as well ... I can't wait Bob ... now where did I put the keys to the Mancave ...

Paul You lucky Dog ... excellent photos ... :woohoo: (y) :ro: :dude

Yes, I do, Bob. I am sorry I missed the outing because I think I could have picked your brain clean. I would love to make the trip some time soon. Thanks.

Yes, I do, Bob. I am sorry I missed the outing because I think I could have picked your brain clean. I would love to make the trip some time soon. Thanks.

Well Paul, It's this way! There ain't much left to pick clean, but you're welcome to try! (y) (y) (y) (y)

Looking forward to meeting you!

Bob

thanks for sharing.

Ian.

Man, it would be great to see you again ian. What's it been? About a quarter century since that Mastercon?

I seriously doubt if I will ever be globe trotting again, but you're still a young whippersnapper. Love to see you again!

Bob

:laugh: :hmmm well Bob, you never know......i am probably about the age you were when i met you at Mastercon i think. Yeah still young enough to travel and it would be really something to catch-up after all this time, so who knows, i may see you some time in the 'not so distant future'.

:D Ian.

Back