• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix Spitfire

It was not unusual for the material to be impregnated as well . I think the T-37's might have used something similar in the nose compartments . Maybe ? Can't recall for sure .
Cheers , Christian

It was not unusual for the material to be impregnated as well . I think the T-37's might have used something similar in the nose compartments . Maybe ? Can't recall for sure .
Cheers , Christian

I don't know for a fact what these are but old engine seals were made from rope material . Don't know what the actual rope was made from but in this time period , it seems possible .
It would be cheaper than leather and more compressible. Don't fixate on the color.

TTFGROPE-2T.jpg
Yeah thats the cloth type material I have seen. I was thinking canvas was the closest weave I have seen. I wonder if its used on any aircraft any more?
James

Yeah thats the cloth type material I have seen. I was thinking canvas was the closest weave I have seen. I wonder if its used on any aircraft any more?
James
It's looks to be the same material used as a seal for the glass in my slow combustion wood heater.

In those days almost sure to be asbestos cloth. That's what we had round the glass door of our log burner, looked just like that cloth.
I suppose it doesnt matter what the material is as long as i get the colour right :)

After downloading the photos zooming in for a close look, (Excellent photos by the way) Those strips look to be some kind of leather or leatherette. Possibly with a little rubber added. They seem to be about 3 or 4 mm thick possibly 5mm and I suspect they are there to keep the metal covers from chafing metal against metal to the framework. As this is a restored aircraft who knows what the original material really was.

Back