• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2 ++FINISHED++

Okay, so here's my submission for this campaign. I opted not to do an Airfix 109E because I'd built the Spitfire (posted in another thread) from this 'Dogfight Doubles' boxing. So rather than have this box sitting around I figured I better get busy. Plus I love the new mold 1/72 Airfix kits and the 110; win win. What I love about the new mold Airfix kits is the value. In my opinion, these kits give the modeler 'great bang for the buck', especially the ' Starter Kits' series marketed for new modelers. Kudos to Airfix. Why the Bf110? It's a beautiful, elegant airplane; what's not to love?

DSCN3125_zpsdwxjx6gx.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

The box is upside down.... :smack

:tomato

JUST KIDDING! Looking forward to seeing this. :popcorn

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

I started building the 110, not much progress so far; I seem to have a case of The Fumble Fingers this week. So I took a break from it lest I set it on fire. :vmad

IMAG1003_zpsb6gmznnm.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

Cool stuff. I hear you about the fumbling thing. Gets me too.
James

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

Yeah, I get the dropsies too. Too many scars on the finger tips. :facepalm

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

I found the cure for Fumble Fingers. I call it...sleep.

First I tried Vodka, it made me "feel" better but did nothing for my dexterity (so very odd, I don't understand it, more research is needed).

Then I tried the sleep thing and it worked like a charm. I highly recommend it.

I found sleep also increases a person's productivity, here's the proof.

Glamour shot
DSCN3151_zpsvj7f2ckw.jpg

What you're supposed to be seeing in this crappy photo is I've put a small piece of fine mesh screen over the carburetor intake (square)on the leading edge of the wing.
DSCN3154_zpsxkojypsp.jpg

The cockpit on these kits is really simple and the canopy is one piece so I opted to forgo a the super detailing and just added some masking tape in the shape of seat belts.
DSCN3153_zpsrhpt3dwl.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

:pilot ... I see the screen nice touch, glad you got some sleep ... Nice progress looking good .. (y)

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

Thanks all,

I did some work on it last night: attached the base for the DF loop, made the lower antennas (they aren't represented on the kit) out of thin wire, masked and attached the canopy, re-scribed panel lines lost to sanding and gave her a bath.

Primer and paint is next. I've got two sets of aftermarket decals and can't decide which scheme to do, a 1/ZG 52 bird (02/71/65) or one of Falk's early rides.

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

Started painting it; here are some snaps. It's painted with MM enamels (I really dislike acrylics). The camo pattern was done freehand.

DSCN3155_zpsq0iipoca.jpg

DSCN3158_zpsyanfjwvh.jpg

DSCN3159_zpsomtqtftb.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

I got back after it and here are some pictures of the results so far. I use the artist oils streak technique on all my airplane models.

For anyone whose never heard of this or done it, the technique is simple and the results give your model a sense of motion.

Basically, start by covering your model in a water-based clear gloss (Future works well). Then, using ANY color and/or color combination of artist oil paints, put small dots of paint randomly on your model. I used red, green, yellow, black, brown and white on this model.

DSCN3183_zpstetvxwfj.jpg

Next, after slightly dampening your favorite flat brush with Turpinoid, use the thin edge of the brush to drag the paint in the direction of airflow (wings and horizontal tail) or gravity (fuselage).

DSCN3186_zpsdxaiwvyf.jpg

Repeat the last step until you get an effect that looks good to you. I keep the brush from loading up by dragging it over a paper towel I place under the model. I swipe across the model and onto the paper towel in one motion.

DSCN3185_zpsicprdes8.jpg

Here's the end result. I've applied a sludge wash of black and brown watercolors and with a drop of dish soap. The model is now in the drying stage. The oils will take a few hours to dry completely. So I typically leave it overnight to dry.

DSCN3188_zpsfjmjjt7o.jpg

The effect might look a bit too heavy at this stage but will become very subtle once decals and a coat of clear flat are applied. I always apply a "filter"; I add a tiny-tiny-tiny drop of red, blue, green or yellow paint to the clear flat. The choice of filter color I use is always random, "today I'm feeling...GREEN!"

Airfix 1/72 Bf110C-2

I was about to say it looks heavy here but I'm sure it'll tone down later. Think that was my problem when I tried it previously.

Very nicely done, great SBS on the dot filter. (y)

Back