• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Air Brushing

Fireball

I have always brush painted and sprayed with a can. I have now recently started toying with the idea of air brushing with nitrogen in lieu of a compressor. Are there any ideas, thoughts, or wtf's about this kind of application? My thoughts are that a bottle can be pressure regulated like a compressor but, with out, the noise and it does not need a power outlet. Nitrogen is not a volatile gas like say oxygen. Feel free to comment. Fireball

Welcome aboard Fireball. How about an introduction?

I have not heard about this, how do you keep fresh supply?

I never thought of doing this before so good question. I googled it and it seems there are people using nitrogen to airbrush all over the place. Advantages are it is dry with no moisture content. One thread said do not go back over the part you painted which I dont understand. Either its a one pass per layer or dont wave back and forth. Not sure why as there was no explanation. From what I could see this could be an inexpensive method of painting, but I would assume that depends on how much you do.
If you go ahead with this I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on it and whether it is worth while or not. Sorry it isnt much of an answer but now you have me curious about it.
James

I have always brush painted and sprayed with a can. I have now recently started toying with the idea of air brushing with nitrogen in lieu of a compressor. Are there any ideas, thoughts, or wtf's about this kind of application? My thoughts are that a bottle can be pressure regulated like a compressor but, with out, the noise and it does not need a power outlet. Nitrogen is not a volatile gas like say oxygen. Feel free to comment. Fireball

You could get a nitrogen bottle through welding supplies . All you need are the applicable regulator and hoses.

I have a silent compressor for airbrushing and it cost about £100 GBP
Thats got to be easier than bottles

I have a small 2 cylinder, quiet compressor that turns on and off as it is used. When it runs, it is a mild whirr sound that is not a bother at all. I have the regulator on it and water traps on my lines and never have had a problem.

Only thing to remember with a tank is to open the drain on it when done as moisture will build up in the tank.

That's a great idea! Your model space must be on the main level of your house?

Welcome aboard Fireball. How about an introduction?

I have not heard about this, how do you keep fresh supply?
I go by fireball, it was our call sign in Vietnam, former Navy Machinist Mate. Got back into the hobby around 10 yrs. or so ago and have 19 complete, 1 lacking clear coat to finish and 1 ready to be primed. I build 48 scale military aircraft, primarily fighters from WWII on. As I mentioned in my last post there has been thoughts playing with idea of using nitrogen or c02 in lieu of a compressor for air brushing. I have been given some pretty good ideas, I just need to do some research and price comparison. Once you get set up all you need to do is refill your tank. From one source, a 10 lb tank of co2 would last him almost a year. How much he builds a month I have no idea but I would think with my production I could easily get that if not a little more. I will keep those that are interested informed as I gain more information. My wife used to do air brushing on motorcycle tanks and such and she has informed me that her paasche air brushes are mine to use if I want. Back in the late 70's thru mid 80's they were like top line. Fireball

I go by fireball, it was our call sign in Vietnam, former Navy Machinist Mate. Got back into the hobby around 10 yrs. or so ago and have 19 complete, 1 lacking clear coat to finish and 1 ready to be primed. I build 48 scale military aircraft, primarily fighters from WWII on. As I mentioned in my last post there has been thoughts playing with idea of using nitrogen or c02 in lieu of a compressor for air brushing. I have been given some pretty good ideas, I just need to do some research and price comparison. Once you get set up all you need to do is refill your tank. From one source, a 10 lb tank of co2 would last him almost a year. How much he builds a month I have no idea but I would think with my production I could easily get that if not a little more. I will keep those that are interested informed as I gain more information. My wife used to do air brushing on motorcycle tanks and such and she has informed me that her paasche air brushes are mine to use if I want. Back in the late 70's thru mid 80's they were like top line. Fireball
:salute:

Great, let's see some of those builds then. :popcorn

That's a great idea! Your model space must be on the main level of your house?
Yeah, I guess you could say that. Bought this place in 83, got it paid off some 10 or so yrs. ago. Built in the post war boom, expanded to about 1200 sq. ft. My office, library and workspace, is roughly 12 by 12. Comfortable for the wife and I along with 2 cats a dog (small) and six chickens.

This is out of my realm of expertise, since I don't have one; but I do a LOT of airbrushing, and it sounds feasible, although I am not sure if it is worth the trouble of filling tanks, worrying if they are running out, etc. FWIW, I can't hear my compressor when my spray booth fans are on LOL. Even if I could, it is a very quiet purr about the same level as a cat. Paasche is a great brand, so you are a lucky devil that your wife loves you enough to give them up! Welcome aboard MA, this is a great source of information and everyone is free with it and happy to help. I will be following to see how your airbrush adventure works out! Good luck!

Welcome to the forums!
when I first returned to modelling around 1997 quit again and restarting 2002 or so I inherited a compressed gas cylinder with regulators that lasted about 3 years. after that I built my own compressor system re-tasking a fridge compressor to a small holding tank (about the size of a bbq propane tank), dead quiet and easy to use, when it started vibrating I bought a dedicated hobby compressor that has had a few issues (nothing big, pressure switches and regulator sticking) I don’t think I’d ever go back to the cylinder, they run out of pressure at the worst possible times.
just one guys opinion though…
again, welcome here.

Back