• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

After market parts

hello again. I have a kit in the stash that I'm saving for some aftermarket goodies and hoping to find a US supplier to get it from. I am strictly an ootb builder so far, and am looking to try my hand at some metal. The kit is ZVEZDA BT-7 and seems like a good subject to experiment on. Which parts kit would be a good one to try this with? The grills on the rear deck really scream for something other than whats in the box. Maybe a gun tube?

For a US supplier, I can't recommend Spruebrothers.com enough.

As far as a PE set, if it's your first, perhaps start with a smaller Eduard PE set for just the grills and a few other items? I don't know exactly what sets are out there for that kit but I wouldn't go out on a big expensive Voyager set for instance for your first try.

My two cents.

:peace

Hi Woodcutter.

Ken has a great suggestion in Sprue Bros.

What I would suggest is to shop around on the internet to find the best price with shipping(sometime the shipping can be outrageous), and only order if the item is listed as "in stock". Don't get lost in the waiting game of wondering when your item is going to arrive if it is listed as "available". My suggestions are.

1. Eduard set #35407. Eduard has it for $14.95 right now, but that is without the shipping. It has four sheets of brass, and an instrument panel film. But the good thing about this, is if you don't want to use all of it, you don't have to. Just use what you think will make it look better.

2. RB Models barrel #35B73 or #35B75 depending on which version you are doing. RB Models lists this at UNDER $1 retail.

3. Friulmodelisimo set #ATL-74. This might not be something you want, as they will probably cost you more than the kit AND the Eduard set combined :eek:hmy:

Gary B)

thanx guys. Yeah sprue bros is wicked fast on orders i have bought from them before. Using their search i couldn't see parts for BT-7. maybe i should try to contact them to see if they can get it. They would be the perfect choice for me as they are in MO. and I am in OK. 2 days away :) With my limited experience with PE I don't want to sweat myself to the point of frustration but I do want to try to get as much of it on as possible. Big parts like fenders that almost make it mandatory to own special bending tools will have to wait for now, and then there's soldering :S

Back