• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in soldering: The Rat Rod Wrecker

Just found this thread and it took a while to read through it. You have done some phenominal work on this model Randy. (y) The sheet metal fabrication has been top notch! :notworthy The only question that occured to me was why didn't you make suicide doors since everything was being fabricated anyway.

Definitely NOT a criticism, just a thought that occured to me. :hmmm

Will be watching, interested to see how you finish it out and what other little tricks you are going to use in the build process. :popcorn

Looking dapper, Randy! Get it? Dapper? I'm here all month, folks..

Seriously, I want to drive this thing around town- it's so cool! You're a heckuva modeler, Mr Ditton- cheers!

Thank you Mr. Pup !!

Mr. Bob, I have used copper, brass, and tin with this tool so far. The lights that I posted were made with .008 sheet copper.

Thanks Christian !

Hi Terry, Glad to be back on this one!

Thank you Paul W.

Thanks Jeff :)

Hi Phil, I have decided not to paint.

Paul, What a great idea !! .....for next time :) :)

Dave, My wife said the same thing about her car when she saw this !

Thanks Adam, Glad you like it so far.

Hey Chuck, Appreciate the kind words my friend !

Building some fuel tanks, more forming work...

019_zps88352015.jpg

018_zpsb5cb814a.jpg

015_zpsd19aa2bf.jpg

022_zpsc7e2b3e8.jpg

005_zpsae146d18.jpg

013_zpse1ee223f.jpg

027_zpsab504bbd.jpg

020_zps34c947bc.jpg

021_zps0aa640de.jpg

006_zpsf5a3de72.jpg

018_zpsb47c8773.jpg

As far as using the forming tool my process is to start with a rough cut oversized disk of metal and form it into suceeding smaller sizes of the female 'cup' until the desired size is reached. This takes some practice but yeilds some nice results.

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Randy, working with the dome on that size of sheet, do you anneal the metal first, or at all? How thick is the sheet when you start, does it thin out as you shape it?

An amazing display of talent and craftsmanship Randy :D

It humbles me to think that plastic and paint can still get the best of me :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

speak for your self, Tony.(elderly) You can be Tooter Turtle. Trizzle trazzle trizzle trome, make the next one out of chrome. Randy that is a totally awesome eye ball experience.

Outstanding!! You know Randy,

It seems a shame to me if you painted that. It looks much more interesting and you can see/imagine how much work went into it in brass, copper and aluminum. It seems to me that paint would make it look like so many other model cars.

Just my thoughts!

Bob

Hi Tony, Thanks for checking in buddy :)

Hey Glenn, Thank you my friend !!

Hi Pup, The copper is .008 and yes, annealed.

Christian, You are too modest buddy !

Thanks james :) :)

Hi Paul, Glad you are liking this one !

Thanks Terry !

Hi Bob, Yeah, no paint for this one !!

Thanks jeff.

Some progress..

Building up the box.

002_zps9097cc9b.jpg

001_zps6e7ac775.jpg

002_zps35efaf84.jpg

006_zpsa7d3c33f.jpg