• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures from Woodland

jeaton01

Last of the concrete done today! Time to order wood.

IMGP1856-1600.jpg

IMGP1861-1600.jpg

Did they get it flat? Had a big issue with my floor in the "Hobby Room" when they went to put the tile in. There was this huge hump in the floor that was easily felt when you walked on it. They had to grind it down and then build up quite a bit to make it work. Looking good now but have emptied the front bed room and closet so the laminate can be removed and replace in that room. Maybe by November it will be done.

The floor is very flat and smooth as can be. The fellow running the job is 79 and still going strong, you can see him in the center of the first picture. He and one other fellow did the finishing work. Wax on wax off came to mind as I watched. They had sleds they used for their lower legs and a trowel in each hand. I rinsed it off this morning after we sawed some grooves in it to forestall cracking. By looking at it as it dried, at most there may be an area or two that are 1/16 off, it's really quite amazing. But then that's why I didn't want to do it myself (not to mention it's just too much work for this old fart and a few of my friends).

There is 1 inch of fall from the back to the garage door, in 32 feet.

Bob, This will be the third and last outbuilding, I have an 11 X 22 that is my present workshop, an 8 X 15 that is my R/C hangar and tool storage (way too small). Also, no kids walked on it and I kept all three cats locked in the house for 24 hours, much to their concern.

The garage project continues as the long stretch of rain has abated. While the walls have been up for awhile, there has been a lot of work completed on the big beams laying about on the slab, just moving them to where I could work on them was a job in itself, involving levers and several of those cheap dollys you can get at Harbor Freight. The beams all had to be cut to length, and due to the size that required doing one cut and then rolling the other side up to finish the cut. I didn't move the beams to the saw, I moved the saw to the beams. The saw is a Dewalt miter saw with a 12 inch blade, one of my favorite tools. Two of the beams that are each 17' 10 1/2" long had to have the top cut to the pitch of the roof, the plywood roof sheathing will rest there. That was done with a rough cut with a sawzall, and the final surface was made with a powered hand plane working down to lines I had marked before the work was started. Those beams are 5 1/2 X 13 1/2. A lot of drilling was done on the beams for the bolts that tie things together. There is one more beam to work on, then it will be time to hoist this stuff in to place.

IMGP2083.jpg

IMGP2080.jpg

IMGP2086.jpg

Yes, Dave. I borrowed a big knuckle boom crane from a farmer friend. The cross beam, ridge pole beams and the garage door header were all placed with the crane.

IMGP2117.jpg

IMGP2108.jpg

Back