• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A6M2b Tamiya 1/72 COMPLETED! MAY 20TH

razordws

I need a shake and bake kit to get the MOJO going again. I picked this up at the LHS this morning for this campaign.

20230228_144116.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, first the good news. I've been working on my build for this and almost have the cockpit done. Just making some tamiya tape seatbelts.

20230303_210729.jpg20230304_230430.jpg20230311_222300.jpg

Now the bad news. I decided to snip out the engine pieces to clean up and put a base coat of paint on that before continuing with the seatbelts when I realized the engine cowl was missing. Did I misplace it or lose it? Maybe, but I have no recollection of ever having seen it. Because of the different variants it is not on the main sprues. From what I can tell from on line reviews it comes like this.

Screenshot_20230311_222403_Chrome.jpg
I'll have to see if I can get a new one from Tamiya. At any rate I won't be able to finish this one for the campaign. I'll have to see if I can come up with another build that I can do in the time remaining.

Last edited:
Dave, you should be able to get the part from Tamiya USA in less than a week. Just call 1-800-826-4922 Monday-Friday. I lost a prop from a 1/72 P-51D and they sent me the parts I needed and a decal sheet I didn't ask for just so I would have the prop decals. Nice people. They will need the part number for the sprue and the number for the cowl on that sprue, and the kit number. Keep on building, son!

That is such a shame Dave. it is a very nice model. Maybe you can canibalize another Zero? Otherwise the suggestion from John is great. I wish we had that kind of service in Europe.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks John. That is encouraging to hear. I sent them a message online last night. I'll call that number if they don't respond right away. I'm sure it will take longer than a week to get all the way up to Canada though.

Alex, I have some old hasegawa kits back at my old house that have extra cowls for the different variants but that is a 9 hour drive away. 😞 they wouldn't be up to the new tamiya standard but the thought crossed my mind.

I may have the same issue with a Japanese plane. I seem to have misplaced the spinner on my Hasegawa 32nd scale Ki-84 Hayate! Last seen when I posted an update on Saturday.
:bash::devil::bat

Hope you can find it Saul.

Going on a road trip next weekend to see my new grandbaby so I'm trying to move this forward as much as I can today. Got the cockpit and engine finished and proceeded with the main assembly. Engine is not glued in place yet. I only have my phone for photos right now so I'm posting thumbnails so it doesn't take forever to load.

Typical Tamiya, nice tight seems that will need very little attention

20230319_202243.jpg
20230319_202458.jpg
20230319_202942.jpg20230319_205332.jpg

Thanks guys!

The Tamiya distrubuter for Canada let me know today that they have the missing engine cowl and will send it to me. Hopefully it gets here before the end of the month.

Back