• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Tribute build Bugatti P100 racer. MMM2023 Finished

Heavens Eagle

Thanks to PaulW, I was able to meet Scotty Wilson a few years before the fateful day. He was in a hanger at Harvey Young airport in Tulsa. I was given permission to give everything a good close look and took quite a few photos. At the time he was working on one of the fuel tanks. The plane was apart and on jig stands. The main wing was on one jig and the fuselage was on another, so I was really able to take a close look at everything. Scotty talked about the plane, project and showed me how everything worked. To be honest it looked a lot like a very large RC model project. The build processes and how it looked were just like a quality RC model would have looked in the rear compartment.
I will post some of those photos through the build. Sad to say I only have the one photo of Scotty. He was doing what made him happy and at the time was looking forward I am sure to flying the P100.

Bugatti 100-01.jpg

Bugatti 100-02.jpg

Bugatti 100-03.jpg

Last edited:
I have been working on this a little at a time the last few days. Today as I was home sick I spent a little time getting it assembled up and doing light stuff around the house as my shnozola has been giving me fits.

snot nose.gif

Yeah just like that. So not doing a lot other than blowing it. I did make some headway though and here is an update.

Bugatti 100-03a.jpg

Bugatti 100-04.jpg

Bugatti 100-05.jpg

Bugatti 100-06.jpg

Bugatti 100-07.jpg

Bugatti 100-08.jpg

Bugatti 100-09.jpg

Bugatti 100-10.jpg

Bugatti 100-11.jpg

A bit more sanding and blending of the curved surfaces and it will be paint time. This is a really neat aircraft and looks fast just sitting on the ground. The cockpit is very detailed and matches up quite well with the photos I have of the original and replica planes. I am not going to just paint the cockpit interior all red like on the original aircraft. That was done I am sure due to age and deterioration of the original. It will be a bit of both the original and Scotty Wilson's replica.

Looking good, Paul. It was terrible to lose Scotty, but also the airplane. It seems like there is a curse, the replica H-1 another example.

I spent the better part of yesterday working on this. Basically it was all smoothing, blending and scribing on the plane. I still have to build up the 2 air intakes at the front of the wing roots then it will be ready for some paint spitting. No pics as you wouldn't notice the differences.
Once the paint goes on I will have to check the surfaces again. As this wee beastie is going to be high gloss, everything that isn't right will show.

I finally did something last night where I could take a photo that would actually show something. I was able to add the two intakes in brass tubing.

Bugatti 100-12.jpg

Edit
Since I just posted this, I decided to just do a quick edit. Have the base plane all coated with a layer of black paint. Going to let it dry for a few days and then do some fine sanding to get the bumps out. Then it will get it's blue coat. In the meantime I will get some paint in the cockpit and wheel wells as well as get the landing gear done and ready. More to come soon.

Last edited:
This weekend is paint on this. Will use some fine paper on the outside to smooth the bumps etc. and will paint the wood and aluminum color in the wheel wells and cockpit. I think I have a blue Model Master color that will work for the outside. Have it mounted on a wire through the nose and a hole in the firewall behind the seat to hold it while painting. It is so tiny.

That looks awfully darn close to the last time I saw the plane. Grand tribute, Paul.

Back