• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A New, Old Ford

mtnflyer

Just because you must share if your having fun.
Your probably all familiar with this old 1/48 Williams Brothers kit:

Flivver1002.jpg

I'm building it as a campaign entry, and thought I'd share the goings-on here as well.

Not knowing what the real cockpit looked like gives me considerable artistic lisence:

Flivver3004.jpg

Used the old wire-round-a-drillbit technique. The instruments are AirScale and Mike Grant. Just so you know, the Airscale are easier.

The wood prop will be capped with an Aluminum face-cap.

Flivver004.jpg

I threw in a brass tube framework and made some semblance of harness out of masking tape. Then I used a few brass bits hanging around for the belt hardware. I'm glad I'm not entered into a reality contest.

Ford011.jpg

They shorted me a little styrene on the front end, so I did a repair using plasti-card.

Campaign012.jpg

FordF007.jpg

You can see that its coming together:

Ford1003.jpg

The seams have already been filled, and I hope to have paint on it by the weekend. Hope you like it. :)

Hi. I did manage to get some Tamiya XF16 aluminum on after it was primed with a Mr Surfacer 1000 rattle can. I also brushed on some real 'Future' to protect the paint from lifting come time to mask for that cool Ford blue.

camps002.jpg

camps011.jpg

I'm really quite happy with my repair to the nose:

camps014.jpg

More coming when there's some blue on there.

Dang fine job, both on the phenomenal looking wood and the paintjob so far. Looking forward to seeing more of it. (y)

Managed to get the blue on. I'm thinking its a little dark, but does match the Ford emblem on my truck.

Flivr001.jpg

Had to touch it up abit with the brush. Any differnces will disappear when I apply 'Future'.

Flivr003.jpg

Still have to strip mask the ribs and dust it with Tamiya Smoke for rib high-lighting. Also plan to give it a little wash to accentuate little details and leather effect. Then its on to markings.

I'll probably have to solder up new landing gear.

I wished to high-light the wing ribs. So the other night, I masked the ribs off, and applied a dusting of very thinned Tamiya flat aluminum mixed with a drop of Tamiya smoke. The effect had to be subtle. Plus, I knew a coating of 'Future' would make the effect even more subtle. Actually, I was quite happy with the result.

Flivr2004.jpg

Flivr2005.jpg

Then, everything really got messed up. Firstly, that blue really shows the fingerprints. I retouched repeatedly before finally purchasing some latex gloves.

Frustration was compounded during decal application. The right fin 268 disintegrated, and I have no replacement.

Further, I mistakenly applied the blue 268 to the upper wing surface, instead of the black. It might have been the beer. Anyway, I was subsequently compelled to put the black 268 on the lower wing.

Here is a series of photos of my mess:

Flivr2008.jpg

Flivr2002.jpg

Flivr2013.jpg

Flivr2011.jpg

Flivr2015.jpg

Flivr2014.jpg

I choose to live with the issues, and will go on. I'll probably grab another brew while working on it this weekend. It seems to look better with some incentive. :drinks

I'm curious here. What did you use for the blue paint ? I would have thought the Future would have taken care of the issue .

Cheers, Christian B)

What did you use for the blue paint ?

Hi phantom. I used Tamiya X-4 Blue.

I believe it wasn,t a paint problem, but rather, an issue with the 'Future' being highlighted by the dark color paint. I'm thinking my own body temperature softened the future enough to leave noticeable prints, and they were subsequently highlighted by the blue.

My opinion, anyway. :S

Of course it might also be a drying time issue. I let it dry overnight.

Hmmmm ? I don't have that particular paint. Most all I use is flat followed by a coat of Future if I want a shine.
Guess it's one of the beauties of camo.

Any idea how many of those beauties Ford produced ? I'm thinking that was his take on a flying version of the model A.

Looking very nice :cheer:

Cheers, Christian B)

There were only three prototypes. The third was far sleeker, being intended as a racing machine.

The industrialist Henry Ford contemplated the every mans, everyday flying machine, but, soon realized the Model A of the air was not attainable. The program was suspended when his friend and test pilot fatally crashed a Flivver into the sea.

Thanks, could nor remember. That's not the only time in history where someone thought that most people should be flying. I don't find that practical.

I find most people around here don't even have driving skills.

Cheers, Christian B)

I wished to high-light the wing ribs. So the other night, I masked the ribs off, and applied a dusting of very thinned Tamiya flat aluminum mixed with a drop of Tamiya smoke. The effect had to be subtle. Plus, I knew a coating of 'Future' would make the effect even more subtle. Actually, I was quite happy with the result.

Flivr2004.jpg

Flivr2005.jpg

Then, everything really got messed up. Firstly, that blue really shows the fingerprints. I retouched repeatedly before finally purchasing some latex gloves.

Frustration was compounded during decal application. The right fin 268 disintegrated, and I have no replacement.

Further, I mistakenly applied the blue 268 to the upper wing surface, instead of the black. It might have been the beer. Anyway, I was subsequently compelled to put the black 268 on the lower wing.

Here is a series of photos of my mess:

Flivr2008.jpg

Flivr2002.jpg

Flivr2013.jpg

Flivr2011.jpg

Flivr2015.jpg

Flivr2014.jpg

I choose to live with the issues, and will go on. I'll probably grab another brew while working on it this weekend. It seems to look better with some incentive. :drinks

You thknk the blue just didn't cure enough or some reaction to the Future? Really nice effect with the ribs. :drinks

With only a rough 8hrs cure; plus my body temperature possibly softening the 'Future" during a hard fought decal application; plus the addition of a few Kokanee; :drinks I beieve any issues I'm experiencing are my own darn fault. I lay absolutely no blame on any manufacturer of products used.

Except for maybe the Kokanee company. Shame on you!!

Now where did I put it? Oh ya! It's in the fridge.

I like it. Colors are good, work well together. I would have never know of the different color numbers with out it being pointed out. The tail number is a bummer. Maybe you can replace with some drafting rub on numbers? I love what you did to make the ribs just "pop"

Keep going man! (y)

I was able to contact Williams Brothers excellent customer service via email. They have promised to send
new decals so I can fix up my errors.

Plus, they have suggested they may do another run of the Flivver in the future. Personally, I'm very happy Williams Brothers may revitalize.

Good news all around.

Bye the way, thanks for the comments!

Wow! That's great news. I need to pickup one of those kits, they have some interesting subjects.

:popcorn

Back