• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

72 scale ROG PB4Y2 Privateer

Paulw

Well ladies and gents here is my entry for Mr T's traveling bomber show.
I received this as a birthday gift in April (I do grow on you) along with a B-17F of the same company.
All of them in 72 scale, I do mostly 32 and 48, so this is going to be a challenge for me as it has teenie tiny pieces parts like some 32 kits I know so there shouldn't be any complaints here.

This kit comes in 3 flavors, USN,Canadian Navy, and French Maritime service from the late 50's Nam era.
I don't know what scheme I will choose yet but the Ford nose has always interested me for some reason and all the side glass in the others has a daunting prospect to do this by the end of the decade.

Here are the starting pics.
HPIM2694.JPG

Paul you'd win a friend for life if you did it.

You might find this interesting Paul.
3-19-2006-43.jpg

My Dad took that picture on the way back from Korea in 1952. Different nose for sure, wish he had gotten some more, I got plenty of Bulldozer pictures though! :mpup

thats the one they sent to the fire bombers up in Grey Bull Wy. and I saw some from Kanada

Thanks for the pix Saul.

I know you guys said black but at least one of the French pictures could be dark blue. Hard to tell.
The picture I took of the one in FL. was a very dark blue. Nearly black.

Cheers. Christian B)

I always thought is was a very dark blue. The only black maritime aircraft I know of were the PBY Black Cats due to the lighter camouflage colors used at the time. Painting it black then was a big deal. It could also be the reason to switch to the dark blue.

Regards,

ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue (FS15042) is the color. It is a gloss version of ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue (FS 35042). If you can't find ANA 623, use ANA 607 and gloss coat it!

By the way, it does dull with weathering before it starts fading. With ANA 607, it started fading quickly.

Regards,

OK but remember that this is a FRENCH aircraft in the 50s so the color charts say black and dark blue I guess it is a french thing. I don't know what numbers they are but it will look good no matter what the colors are.

I happen to have several French language books and they state that the French did not repaint the aircraft they received from MAP (I have been reading up on the F4U-7 since I have an old Heller kit with Hi-Tech F4U-5N conversion).

I will be happy to provide titles and ISBNs if you want to pick them up.

Regards,

no argument intended here. I was just repeating what the kit color charts said and every body Knows that they are ALWAYS correct...Right?

I began the PB4Y today and with out too much consideration to any one paint scheme. I did happen to fall into lusty fire bomber and thought about it for a good while but I am not that good with metallic finishes and was afraid to step out too far out of bounds for what ever "treatment" I mat receive from Laura.

I just completed the pit in which I am missing a steering wheel. I assembled the four engine nacells, and two wing sets and a turret. I am suprised at the fir og this kit as it isnt what 72 scale used to mean to me, Cheap,flimzy material and all the flash one coul;d ask for. So far it looks good to me.

HPIM2729.jpg

I also recieved the decals for the geist intruder and a couple of other kits and I will post those else ehwew....Blessings..Paul

I was surprised to read that the Revell kit is using the Matchbox molds... for some reason I thought it was new.

Regards,

well I couldn't tell you too much about any molds there Sharkey but from what I have seen today even though some detail in the insides and engines are lacking I think this will be a fine kit. I just hope my paint mixes well and has a good coverage

Back