• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

66 El Camino AWB Dragster

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate them.
I've been working on the body this last week, I used sheet styrene to form the new wheel openings, then filled with putty and lots of sanding. Many layers of putty to get it smoothed out. Still a little more to do but getting close. I also had to fill the lower body with some thin strips, the El Camino has chrome beauty strips that I won't use so that is smoothed out too.
I did a little work on the interior, it is painted satin blue. I made a dash panel insert from styrene and used gauges from a Nascar kit.
The seat is from my parts box, the one that comes with the Rat Packer looks to be about the right size for a third grader.
Thanks for looking!

DSC_0013%7E1.JPG

DSC_0012%7E0.JPG

DSC_0014%7E1.JPG

DSC_0017%7E0.JPG

Nice looking paintwork on the seat and belts, Kevin! The wheel wells are coming along nicely too! (y)

Time for this weeks progress report. I added 1/4 pieces of spru to the frame to lengthen the wheel base to fit the El Camino. With that completed I can do a mock up and see if everything is going to line up. I'm liking the stance and think it sets about right. I also made a bed cover and wired the engine.
Thanks for looking!

DSC_0013%7E2.JPG

DSC_0027%7E0.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0022%7E0.JPG

Nice work, Kevin! The wheel wells came out looking great and you're right about the stance. (y)

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates but I'm still working on this beast. I've struggled with the body work and paint, I didn't like how the rear wheel openings looked so reworked them several times, then didn't like the paint job. So after 3 tries I finally have the look I want. You'd think painting something basic white would be easy, not for me!
I have one side of the decal work about done, the Slixx decals are really nice but a little thin. The red stripe broke in a couple of places but looks ok except for the starting point on the front fender, I will need to do a little repair work there.

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

That is a nice looking fantasy AWB drag piece. I like how it came out. Did you end up cutting out the bed to do the frame area?

Dave W.

Thanks Mike and Dave.
Dave, I did cut out about about a third of the bed so the wheel tubs from the Chevy II frame would fit. Hacking up plastic is fun. :laugh:

Thanks for all the comments guys! This one is now complete at last. I finished off the decals and shot a clear coat to seal them up. The red portion of the decals were so thin and brittle that they were starting to flake off already, so there are a few spots that I had to repair. But that's the way it goes sometimes.
I'm still happy with the way it turned out even with a few small glitches. Let's burn some rubber!

DSC_0003%7E1.JPG

DSC_0005%7E0.JPG

DSC_0007%7E0.JPG

Back