• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

51 yr. old 1/32nd AH-1G Cobra repair

centaur567

100_7210.JPG
100_7211.JPG
100_7212.JPG
100_7214.JPG
100_7215.JPG
100_7216.JPG
100_7217.JPG
100_7218.JPG
100_7219.JPG
100_7220.JPG
100_7210.JPG
100_7211.JPG
100_7212.JPG
100_7214.JPG
100_7215.JPG
100_7216.JPG
100_7217.JPG
100_7218.JPG
100_7219.JPG
100_7220.JPG

Saul Garcia's Cobra post inspired me to finally do these repairs.

I built this kit in 1970 while in Nam. This was before the days of after market products and super glue. I didn't even have a xacto knife. Just a straight razor and some Testors paints. So no seem filling or much detail. The only thing I want to correct is the canopy tint. Back then I used thinned Testors blue and the thinner fogged the inside. I'm in the process of sanding the inside and will polish and re tint with Tamiya transparent blue. Some parts are missing like the front instrument panel and gun sights. The rt. rear cross tube has been glues along with the main rotor hub. Not sure about the hold of the glue on the hub. I didn't want to redo the seems and paint due to it's history. It was hung up in my room at Cu Chi with a line of thread coming from the minigun with red florescent dots to look like it was firing. It made a big hit with the Cobra pilots. In a way this model is a Nam vet. Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV

I will see if I have scrap parts from this kit number in case you need it. I planned to offer you ICM decals but those have history! If the codes on the lower tail are unique, wouldn't this be the last two digits of the serial number like on the infamous Betty Boobs who did the roll for the camera?
BettyBoobsCobraWingover1.jpg
BettyBoobsCobraWingover2.jpg
BettyBoobsCobraWingover3.jpg
BettyBoobsCobraWingover4.jpg
BettyBoobsCobraWingover5.jpg

Regards,

Looks like that the only missing part is the front instrument panel. It might be in my parts box. I have no idea who did the roll over. The codes under the sync. elevators had nothing to do with the tail numbers. Great pics!! Gary S. XLV MMXXIV LGB

The codes under the sync. elevators had nothing to do with the tail numbers.
I thought Betty Boobs serial may have ended with 86 (hence H86) while Wretched Mildred was 68-15189 (hence you painted H89). If not, I am sure there was a method to the madness. However, the Centaur page and John Brennan both state Betty Boobs was 67-15776. 67-15786 served with the 114th AHC.
1638228558846.png

As for your front instrument panel, is it missing with the coaming? If only the panel, I will gladly send you the ICM plastic one with decal since it is being replaced with color PE.

Regards,

Cobra model 827 at Cu Chi 001.jpg

Saul, thanks for the parts offer, but I'm going to stay with the original parts for now. The H-89 code was assigned to 67-15827. It was my first ship that I was given as a crew chief. It became the original " The Henchman". During the time of the invasion of Cambodia it was shot down near Tay Ninh while flying around the area by Nui Ba Din mountain. Also called "the black virgin" mountain. W/O Tom Olsen autorotated into a rice paddy and folded up the skids. Both crew members survived. 67-15567 was it's replacement and came with at least 20 bullet patches. It as named "The Henchman II". While at Lai Kae, during my 3rd tour, our unit was placed on short notice to move up north to QuanTri. 567 was due for it's 100 hr. maintenance and was turned over another unit called "Blue Max". In return we received one of their ships. It turned out to be a real dog. For example strips of angle iron along the engine deck. We refused it and didn't get a replacement till after I left. In the meantime, the crew chief for 189 was going home and so it was given to me. To show how screwed up thing were, my unit, now called F troop 4th Cav. didn't move until after I left and they went to Phu Bai, right on the coast. Included in this post is a pic. of this model hanging in my room ay Cu Chi. Gary S. LGB XLV MMXIV

As to the pilot of 67-15776. W/O 2 Bruce Sikema was assigned to this ship. He was our best pilot and did all of the check rides for new pilots. He was a great guy and never pulled rank. When he got out of the Army he never flew again and raised roses with his wife. I think he has since passes away. Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV

WOW very col. The history in the kit and in your life. Just awesome. Its also so cool it has lasted so long. Most of my kits were destroyed in moves or given away when i was posted. Very very cool.
James

Amazing that you were able to transport the model back to the states. Very interesting Gary. :salute:

100_7221.JPG
100_7222.JPG
100_7224.JPG
100_7227.JPG

The canopy cleaned up well enough and a thinned coat of Tamiya clear blue mixed with future was applied in the second pic. Didn't want to overdo it. Attached the main and tail rotor with pins cut from a paperclip. The same paperclip was used as pitch change tubes to the main rotor. My next repair is one of a pair Monogram's 1/72nd scale AH-1G that was built sometime in 1972. It's tail # is 67-15546 "Mississippi Queen". The actual modernized aircraft is in a museum in Arkansas. The other one is my second Cobra 67-15567 "The Henchman II". Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV

@centaur567 I have a Monogram shelf queen, let me know if you need spare parts. By the way, the tailboom on the Monogram kit is far better (being slimmer) than the Special Hobby kits.

Regards,

toothless 189 001.jpg
RVN-032.jpeg
Tigershark teeth 001.jpg
100_7228.JPG

Thanks to all !! The mystery of the toothless 189 is solved. Apparently the left front gun fairing was damaged and replaced. So we scraped off the mouth and teeth with straight edge razor blades for a repaint. As mentioned earlier, 189 was dropped by the hanger crew while replacing the skids and the teeth paint job was not completed. She had to go to a higher level of maintenance for repair and was probably replaced.
In the top pic, that's me standing next to my Cobra. As far as to the level of tint, I didn't want to over do it.
And Saul, Thanks for the parts offer. I do need the underside of the rt. wing along with the rt .outboard rocket pod and the tail rotor. By chance do you have the clear stand that came with the Monogram kits and do you still have my address? Thanks, Gary S. XLV MMXXIV LGB

And Saul, Thanks for the parts offer. I do need the underside of the rt. wing along with the rt .outboard rocket pod and the tail rotor. By chance do you have the clear stand that came with the Monogram kits and do you still have my address? Thanks, Gary S. XLV MMXXIV LGB

These are the parts I have... I 'might' have the rocket pod... I don't know and will check my 32nd scale parts bin. Tail rotor and both stub wings are there, but you will probably have to cut out the part you need from the stub wing so as to keep the original as intact as possible. Those seats come with the Eduard armor plate. That is a new canopy there too.
Revell 233 AH-1G.JPG

About the Monogram Cobra, clear stand... I might. First, I need to find a photo of it.

If you want them, PM me your postal address.

Regards,

These are the parts I have... I 'might' have the rocket pod... I don't know and will check my 32nd scale parts bin. Tail rotor and both stub wings are there, but you will probably have to cut out the part you need from the stub wing so as to keep the original as intact as possible. Those seats come with the Eduard armor plate. That is a new canopy there too.
View attachment 143979

DOH! You are referring to the Monogram 72nd scale kit!
Homer_Doh.jpg

Let me look in the correct 72nd scale bin!

Regards,

I did write that she was a shelf queen. What stopped me was my stupid decision to open the (thick) canopy)! Now, if I find that the Special Hobby canopies fit her... :D

If not, then you know why I asked if they ever covered the Cobra canopies with tarps like this:
1638935199451.png

The tail rotor is not glued on but the fuselage halves are so the stub wings are solidly in there:
Monogram72AH-1G00.JPG
Monogram72AH-1G01.JPG
Monogram72AH-1G02.JPG

Regards,

Back