• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

50 cal question.

ausf

Master at Arms
As I gather ref pics for the '17 dio, I keep coming across photos with 50s that look like the barrel is not in the cooling jacket.

Any ideas?

B-17_Battle_Damage_379th_Bomb_Group.jpg
Flak_Damage_to_379th_BG_B-17.jpg

I think it's a trick of the light. Afterall doesn't the cooling jacket attach to the muzzle?

On second look, wonder if they had removed the barrels, doesn't look like the muzzle is there.

I agree with the Pup that the barrels are removed. look at the top turret and it looks like the muzzle is in place.
Man she had a rough day
:victory:

I think the barrels are removed too, but it doesn't jibe with the way I understand how they were equipped. They didn't swap out barrels like the German did with MG42s, right? I thought the gunners grabbed the guns from the armorer pre flight, put 'em in and off they went.

If you look at these, the cheek gun has a barrel:

640-f427390f8b44e5769bdb60ab40ab92c8-640x468.jpg

But look at this one, how could they pull the barrel after that mess?

B-17_Battle_Damaged_379th_Bomb_Group_Flying_Fortress.jpg

The M2 is a beast. We referred the aircraft version as the light barrel and the field and maritime versions as the heavy barrel. The barrels are still there as the light plays tricks. The whole receiver would be removed along with the barrel so there would be nothing to mount a cooling shroud to. Before you remount the gun after servicing you would have to time it and headspace it then it can be remounted.

Just a trick of light. As Paul said you cant remove just the barrel without removing the cooling jacket. Once upon a time in a world long past I carried a couple of 50 cals at a time up from the armoury to the trucks and jeeps. Couldn't manage to carry the tripods, just to heavy to carry 2 guns and their tripods up a flight of stairs. Maybe that6s why my back is buggered now??
James

Just a trick of light. As Paul said you cant remove just the barrel without removing the cooling jacket. Once upon a time in a world long past I carried a couple of 50 cals at a time up from the armoury to the trucks and jeeps. Couldn't manage to carry the tripods, just to heavy to carry 2 guns and their tripods up a flight of stairs. Maybe that6s why my back is buggered now??
James
If memory serves me right the Ma deuce was actually a crew served weapon up to three personnel. Barrel was just shy of 30 lbs, receiver was 68 and tripod and pintle assembly was a whopping 130. You just don't sling that on your hip no matter how hefty you are.

Back