• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1st diorama attempt: WW2 Normandy

Turkeyshot

Hi All,

A few months ago I found this old Italeri house Corner (Kit #6413) on sale in my local modelling store (see Photo 1). Having never attempted a diorama before I though that this might be a good place to start.

PHOTO 1: The kit
Dio1-1.jpg

Then, with the kit in hand I starting trawling various modelling boards looking for inspiration and hoping to learn a few new techniques that I could try out. In my search I encountered some dios which have used cork to simulate stonework to very good effect. One of the cork saucepan mats from the kitchen made for a suitable sidewalk (6mm thick). This was glued into an old wooden base that I made well over a decade ago. I then found some thin (2mm) cork sheets in a local dollar store. This was cut to size and also glued onto the base to star to build up the roadway. A second sheet of the 2mm cork was cut up into hundreds of small pieces to represent the cobblestones, which were then painstakingly glued onto the base (see Photo 4). I glued the guttering down first and then added row after row of the cobblestones to gradually build up the roadway. Photos 2 and 3 show the position of the sidewalks, placemarks for where the building ruin will go, and the majority of the cobblestones now laid. As indicated on the base, I will also add a manhole and drain to the diorama for additional interest. Both of these will be sourced from Miniart kits. These only just arrived this morning, and so once these have been installed I will be able to finish adding all of the cobblestones around them.

PHOTO 2: Layout of the base
Dio1-2.jpg

PHOTO 3: Building in place
Dio1-3.jpg

PHOTO 4: Cobblestones
Dio1-4.jpg

As can be seen in the photos, when first laid, the cobblestones are very square and smooth and look quite unrealistic. Roughing the edges with the sharp end of a needle file solves this problem, producing a very believable texture. Compare the cobblestones adjacent to the areas as yet unlaid to the rest to see what I mean by this. See Photo 2 above, and Photo 5 below for a close up of this. Photos 6 and 7 show additional details of the cobblestones and sidewalk thus far.

PHOTO 5: Cobblestone detail 1
Dio1-7.jpg

PHOTO 6: Cobblestone detail 2
Dio1-8.jpg

PHOTO 7: Cobblestone and sidewalk detail 3
Dio1-9.jpg

Those of you familiar with the old Italeri kits will know that they are only one-sided and do not have any interior detail. This was solved by pouring some plaster into the hollow interior of the building. Photos 8 and 9 below were taken once the plaster had set, though before sanding. I have started to gouge out some of the plaster around some of the broken portions of the of the wall. Once sanded, these sections will be filled with exposed brick fashioned from the same cork used for the cobblestones. Photo 9 below shows the balsa floor joists which will form what is left of the second floor. Meanwhile, I will also add broken window frames, doors and floorboards, made from balsa (shown in Photo 10, which also shows additional cobblestones and one of the saucepan mats used to make the sidewalk).

PHOTO 8: Interior walls 1
Dio1-10.jpg

PHOTO 9: Interior walls 2
Dio1-11.jpg

PHOTO 10: Wood and stone
Dio1-5.jpg

Extra details such as a door, window shutters, a downpipe, a street lamp, and street signs will also be added in due time. Most of these will also be sourced from Miniart sets and more photos of these will be added in subsequent posts.

Finally, I have also made some of the rubble which will be strewn about the diorama. This was simply made from plaster, coloured with different pastel dust, which once set was later broken into various shaped and sizes. Thanks again go to "Meaty Hellhound" for this technique.

PHOTO 11: Rubble
Dio1-12.jpg

More photos will be posted as this build slowly progresses. As always, I welcome any and all suggestions or comments that you may have for me. Speaking of suggestions, I am yet to decide what to do with this diorama. At this point, I am leaning towards making this diorama depict a scene from Normandy during WW2 (possibly showing a civilian scene of the 1940 exodus), although may instead depict a scene from Holland. Thoughts/ideas/suggestions? While you are at it, I am also seeking ideas as to what AFV or other to place on this scene. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Cheers.

Here is a little further progress from the dio build. The Miniart accessories that I was waiting for arrived and some of these have sincebeen incorporated into the build. The cobblestones, drain, and manhole have been 'grouted' into place with spackle (See Photos 12-16 below).

Photo 12: Overview
Dio1-13.jpg

Photo 13: Top view
Dio1-14.jpg

Photo 14: Drain detail
Dio1-15.jpg

Photo 15: Manhole detail
Dio1-16.jpg

Photo 16: Sidewalk and gutter detail
Dio1-17.jpg

I have also done a little more work to the building ruin. The 2 halves have been glued together and I have added the downpipe and started on the wall lamp from the Miniart set. The horizontal pipe on the front of the building will be an electrical conduit for the wires to the lamp (shown on the ground in Photo 19). Unfortunately, the Miniart windows and doors are noticeably taller and narrower that those on the Italeri base (See Photos 17 & 18 below). Photo 17 shows the work that I have already done to cut one of the shutters down to a more appropriate size: compare it against the one on the ground. Photo 18 shows the size of the door compared to the doorway. I still need to cut the door down to fit the doorjam, while also widening it with some balsa wood.

Photo 17: Side of building with shutter and downpipe
Dio1-18.jpg

Photo 18: Front of building with door and lamp
Dio1-19.jpg

Since my last post, I have also done some more work on the interior. I have sanded the inner walls, gouged out areas to show the exposed brick, filled those areas with cork brickwork and and grouted them in with some more spackle (See Photos 20-25 below).

Photo 19: Building interior
Dio1-20.jpg

Photo 20: Building interior detail 1
Dio1-21.jpg

Photo 21: Building interior detail 2
Dio1-22.jpg

Photo 22: Building interior detail 3
Dio1-23.jpg

Photo 23: Building interior detail 4
Dio1-24.jpg

Photo 24: Building interior detail 5
Dio1-25.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I have managed thus far. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for me?

Thats stunning work. I never thought of saucepan holders, now to go to the store after work and see if I can find some. Real inspiration there TS (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Very nice work on that old building! and your street looks awesome (y) (y)
I also find that the doors are a little to high in the miniart kit, i cut it down the same way you are planning to do and then it looks much better, (normaly a door is around 2meter high and 1meter wide, around 2,8cm x 5,7cm in 1/35)

Looking forward to see your next step :popcorn

//Mats

Great start. Your ideas and creativity are first rate.
I'm sure you have it yet to come, but have you thought of what to use for any shattered flooring to your floor beams?
Regardless Great Job (y)

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.

I am really happy with the way that this build is coming together. It has been a great learning experience. The photos shown thus far are a little dated and I have done more work on this build since they were taken a couple of months ago. I just haven't got around to taking too many photos of late. As it stands, the groundwork has been primed, painted and drybrushed and is now pretty much done, short of dropping debris everywhere and the final weathering with pigments. I have also started slapping some paint on the building. I am pretty happy with the way the interior looks now, but the outside still needs a lot more work. Speaking of the interior, the floorboards, skirting, and door and window frames have all been added with thin strips of balsa. Most of this is now painted, although some bits here and there will need revisiting. Oh yeah, and I have also tried my hand at scratch-building a piece of furniture for added interest.

Here are a couple of teaser pics to keep you interested...

PHOTO #25: Overview showing painted groundwork
Diorama1-27.jpg

PHOTO #26: Cobblestone and drain detail
Diorama1-29.jpg

PHOTO #27: Building interior
Diorama1-33.jpg

PHOTO #28: 2nd floor and dresser detail
Diorama1-34.jpg

Thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcomed. I still have not decided what I plan to display on this base... does anyone have any ideas for me?

Maybe when you are done would you mind if we move this to Sprue U? Looks like a well done SBS with good pictures and I'm sure it would help countless others in their diorama/vignette building.

In case you havent got there yet Sprue University is our section of tutorials and Step By Steps (SBS) and help areas found here https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-university
James

Well, don't think a bomber would work...:rotf

Any AVF coming around that corner, or a soft skin support, or how about just some guys hanging out around the field kitchen?

Great progress. perhaps some more coloring on the brick paver?

Wow, that is some awesome work! I agree about some extra color on the sidewalk and cobblestones. Maybe you could mix a dark, Burnt-Umber-colored wash and apply it to the street in particular.

I love the building interior and your dresser is brilliant! I wish I could do furniture like that!

Keep this going; it is awesome!

Back