• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1966 Chevelle Super Sport

Viper_MP

Well,
I got this kit in a raffle some time ago, and finally decided to build it to take to another contest in about 3 weeks. The kit is a Lindberg re-release of the 1966 Chevelle Super sport.

The engine orange is a custom mix. I wish I had remembered the ratio, cause it came out great. I was originally going to go out of box on this one...that changed fast. The wheels and tires came from the parts bin. The front and rear shocks have all been scratch built from wire, stretched sprue, and brass tubing. The interior was flocked and the shifter was replaced with a sewing pin [with a white knob]. And the engine has been plumbed and wired, including replacing the kit radiator hoses with rubber tubing. The NEW body is currently being painted. The original body for a bad flaw in the clear lacquer finish that I was unable to sand out. So I went to strip the finish, and THOUGHT I grabbed Easy Off, which I have used for years. Wrong. I actually grabbed the stripper I usually use to strip gun stocks. Well, lets just say its not formulated for plastic. :woohoo: The Hood melted to a blob, and for the body....the cowling, roof, and trunk lid melted and sunk in. The a pillars were gone, which allowed the roof to drop onto the cowling. And the real kicker, after about an hour, everything solidified. So anyway, here are pics of the rest of the car until the new body is ready!!

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

DSCN2053.jpg

DSCN2055.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

But honestly, its looking great. I just hope you don't have another "melt-down" with the replacement body. This is again proof of your versatility and outstanding modeling skills.

Joe

Whichever scheme you decide will turn out well, Rob! Did you locate a new body?

Lookin' good. You did a Fantastic job on the engine compartment. Those plug wires and pvc look great. I like the carpet too.

Speaking of the body, after a few color coats, a few lacquer coats, and a marathon session with the polishing cloths and Novus compounds, the body is purdy! Just need to touch up a couple spots that wore through the paint.

Beautiful interior work man !!!

I actually had one of these in the late 60's , ......... drive in movies , street races , going upstate N.Y. to buy beer , the back seat was also very ................... never mind .

Very cool , you realize it's one small step away from being a Goat !!!

Now that would be cool to have your mom give you a mint GTO ..............

Oops , sorry Grand Prix not close , ...... LeManns , ........ now that's close .......

This gettin old crap is startin to suck !!!!

Does your Poncho have the fo' fitty fi'? The Chevlle is lookin' good, glad to hear you're back on it! :ro:

I'm not sure what it has in it. It's been a while since I've seen it. On the PanzerChevelle, the body is done and getting glass installed. It took me a while to remember how to do bare metal foil on the trim. And I did end up with a flaw in the paint/clear coat on the passenger door. Somewhere, somehow, a bit of lacquer thinner touched it. I sanded it out as much as possible, but its still there and still slightly visible.

And oddly enough, the car is a a metallic version of Panzer Grey!

And she's finally done. The chrome wasnt too bad out of the kit. I did have to do a lot of sanding on the rear window trim, so it was re-chromed with alclad II.

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2229.jpg

DSCN2232.jpg

DSCN2233.jpg

DSCN2234.jpg

Back