• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
For the past two months I have been working on a little project that took most of my time. Life has been totally mad since the beginning of May, little have I imagined it would be like that. Mind you, I had been warned .... on Chinese New Year we went to a nice RSL club (veterans' club) where a Chinese guy read our fortunes using their magic. I swear to God he was right. Anyway, enough with the whinging ...

The idea of this little thing is a diorama to show the 1914-2014 now and then kind of a thing. I am using the Rolls Royce 1914 pattern that appeared at the show in May and the Humvee to illustrate the 2014 side of things. By the way, that Rolls will appear in the ModelArt magazine soon - very surprised :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

The bit in the middle is a Roman aqueduct that is still being built. I have used Bob's technique, well, I tried to. The structure is corrugated cardboard, matt board over it, then plaster of paris. I haven't been able to follow Bob's "stone painting" style because I have not been able to get the same consistency in the mixture :smack . So, I have used the old faithful Dremel. It would have been great to paint the stones, but .... it will happen with my next project.
As of now, it's almost ready to paint, also had to make another base, the initial one was too small.Working on the terrain is going to take another massive chunk of time, but that's the only way to get it right.

Several photos below.

This is one side of the lower tier

h4400fae.JPG

Lower tier almost done, matt board is black, some pencil tracing of the stones there. Arches - strips of cardboard and then a long piece of matt board that was cut to fit (several cuts across so it takes the desired shape)

h2bc558b.JPG

Next, lower tier plastered, awaiting scribing and sanding :S :S :S

ha98fc13.JPG

Next, upper tier done the same way, lower tier sanded. I decided to add some columns there, 4 on each side, all scratch built using matt board and balsa. The statues are 1/72 roman soldiers, a horrible plastic thing that you cannot glue with normal glue or CA. Had to use the soldering iron :sick:

h14867c4.JPG

Next - detail of the scribed stones on the lower tier. These are all "machined stones" much smoother than the upper tier.

hb9b5c0e.JPG

Next - upper tier plastered and scribed. The stones are much more rugged and of different sizes. Some stick out more than the others, same for the few rows of "bricks" at the top. The arches were made with Sculpey.

hecff9d2.JPG

Next - the envisaged 1914 side. This will contain the Rolls, a Tommy's War figure. I have to scratch a 1900's camera with another figure taking the photo.

h76f5c69.JPG

Next - the envisaged 2014 side. The humvee and two figures, one taking a selfie. Technological progress :D

hfb1118a.JPG

Over the past few days, more sanding, detail sanding, fixing bits here and there and so much more to be done.

Could have never done this without Bob's SBS on his Roman arch :notworthy

Cheers,
Laurence

Very neat. Are you going to have one vehicle on each side?

Congrats on the publisheing. Well deserved (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks James. :notworthy

Yes, one vehicle on each side.

I haven't seen the article yet, I only submitted it, waiting to see the final form.

Laurence

Back