• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 MK.II Supply Tank

Re: 1/72 MK.II Supply Tank - Painting

Hey All

Well.. I'm not going to meet my self imposed deadline of ANZAC day (today), but I am on track for finishing by the GB's deadline.

Today I got out into the shed to do the painting. Now.. I'm no expert, but I can say that using an over-inflated spare wheel as a propellant is NOT a great idea!! You find yourself constantly refilling the tyre with air. And, another thing I learned today was that if the wee hose inside the jar on a suction fed airbrush is not pointing the right way, then you don't get paint. And lastly, you get what you pay for.. the wee rubber hose in the airbrush jar falls to bits easily when you go to turn it around on cheap air brushes.

DSC_3148.jpg

But.. I managed to get paint onto the model, and with any luck it will look ok when done. For now, here's the shots of the new colour. I changed my mind about using Khaki Drab, and changed it to Khaki as it seems to be the accepted colour used on most WWI models (conformist I know).

DSC_3150.jpg

DSC_3152.jpg

I do need some advice though. I've used Tamiya acrylic for the Khaki. I was wondering how long the drying time is for this?

That's all for now

Cheers

Rob

Can't answer your question, what are you going to use for a wash? I know I'd give it a couple of days if it's something harsh.

If you thinned it with Tamiya thinner, it's dry enough to move forward right now. I usually paint in the morning and handle parts in the afternoon. If you're planning to filter of wash, I'd add a layer of Future or Games Workshop Purity Seal. The Tamiya jar paints are alcohol based, so the clear sealer protects them. Good luck!

Can't answer your question, what are you going to use for a wash? I know I'd give it a couple of days if it's something harsh.
Yea.. I was thinking something like 24 hours. As far as a wash goes, I think I'm going to paint the horn markings, a custom colour on the tracks and then call it at that. If I add a wash, and I come across additional markings in my searching in the future, I can't easily add them over the top.. it'll look.. well.. odd. So, for now, I'm feeling a "straight out of the factory" look will work for me

If you thinned it with Tamiya thinner, it's dry enough to move forward right now. I usually paint in the morning and handle parts in the afternoon. If you're planning to filter of wash, I'd add a layer of Future or Games Workshop Purity Seal. The Tamiya jar paints are alcohol based, so the clear sealer protects them. Good luck!

Yea.. I used Tamiya thinner. That's good to know about the setting time.. although it'll be longer than 24 hrs by the time I get to it again, it is good to know for the future. As above, I'm not going to add a wash or filter just in case I find the markings I'm after in the future, but once I've added the Horn markings, I'll top it with Klear (that's what we call Future here), and leave it at that.. the fresh out of the factory look

Thanks both for your info

Re: 1/72 MK.II Supply Tank - Finished

Hi All

The marathon is complete, I'mm calling this one complete.

I've added the markings to the horns and drivers cab roof, touched up a couple of overspray spots, and bleed marks from adding the markings.

I also tried tidying up the tracks a bit, but that was a lost cause. The dies used for these tracks are so old and a bit warn, there are bad patches where the rubber has bled out the sides, which is really hard to remove. I got the worse of it off, but not very pretty. I also thinned down some Humbrol 113 "Rust" (not that it really looks like rust) and used this on the tracks. Once the tracks were dry, I gave them a gentle rub with a dry cloth to bring the natural track colour through the paint on the rivets and ridges which was a not too bad steel colour.

Anyhow.. here's the product (sorry about the lighting)

DSC_3154.jpg

DSC_3157.jpg

DSC_3158.jpg

DSC_3160.jpg

If our leaders are satisfied, I will post a pic in the completed thread.

Cheers

Rob

Back