• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Leopold Railgun.

Well you can get a lot of help here. What is your base coat? Do you have a sealer on it now? Ask these questions as the thinner for the oil wash could attack the base coat.

Well you can get a lot of help here. What is your base coat? Do you have a sealer on it now? Ask these questions as the thinner for the oil wash could attack the base coat.

I gave the kit's a coat of vallejo matt clear over Dark Yellow then did the oil wash. The result of the wash didn't show up very well in the photo but I can see the difference compared to the decking that I have not done.

Oils won't hurt the Vallejo acrylics, what MP is saying is you choose your method of washes, etc. based on what the layers below are. Don't want any of the washes to melt the base coat. (y)

I went out an bought Sin Industries German filter set so I am gunna give em a hit with that in subtile layer's.
Thank's to you guy's for helpin me out. :cheer:

The SIN filters are tops and easy to use. They work best on a matte finish, washes work better on gloss. I base coat,matte sealer (I like Games Workshop Purity Seal, but have used Vallejo Satin Varnish too), filters, then clear gloss (Future or the like). This gives me a base for my decals and my washes to bring out the details. A flat or satin clear will seal the whole deal and tone down the gloss. (y)

So after I get the desired tone with the filter's I give it a hit with some matt clear and then it's safe to use some pigment's and the like.

Thank you for your help,this is all new to me and I realy appreciate the feedback. :notworthy (y)

Kurt.

So after I get the desired tone with the filter's I give it a hit with some matt clear and then it's safe to use some pigment's and the like.

Not only it's safe to use pigments on a matt clear coat,but it's always better on a flat/matt paint/clear coat layer.It's the best way to get your pigments on, even when you use the pigments dry,without the help of a pigment fixer.

Looking forward to the next steps,Kurt! :popcorn

Greetings,Ron.

Kurt,

I think you're on the right track, however I generally put down my first wash with no sealer on the base paint so that the oil wash can blend with the base colors. I only put on a sealer(future) when I am changing processes like from tinting to say pin washes. I find that maybe only two different color tints are really needed with a sealer between them. As far as pigments are concerned I don't know if I would us them here. You must keep in mind scale. What looks like minor dust accumulation in 1/35 scale will be a dump truck load of dirt in 1/72. I think I would give the model a lite dusting of flat earth from my airbrush instead. Keep going you're doing fine.

Terry B)

Back