• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Scale F-4J Phantom II Mig Ace Cmdr Sam Flynn

Swordsman

My Kit's Box art ....

hbac8e06.JPG

The conversion from Showtime 100

h77bcf25.jpg

Flight patch ...

hbfb1522.png

1/48 Scale F-4J Phantom II Mig Ace CMD Sam Flynn

Nice, Tomcatters. Anytime, baby! :drinks

I believe one of the oldest squadrons and also the only one with a kill in all three wars ... :pilot

Call sign Felix ... Aircraft info ... this bird is a Mig-Killer ...

F-4J McDonnell Douglas Phantom II, Bu. No. 157307, was accepted by the Navy on December 18, 1970. By June 22, 1971, it was assigned to Fighting Squadron 31 (VF-31) stationed at the Naval Air Station (NAS), Oceana, Virginia. Early in 1972, VF-31, (with F-4 Bu. No. 157307) went aboard USS Saratoga, and by April en route to the western Pacific for duty in the Vietnam War. On May 18, 1972, the squadron started combat operations on Yankee Station, off the coast of Vietnam. While on a flight on June 21, 1972, its last day on station, F-4 Bu. No. 157293 (Squadron No. 101) made its mark. It was launched that day on a MIGCAP (MiG Combat Air Patrol) with VF-31's Executive Officer, Cdr. S.C. Flynn, USN, as pilot, and Lt. W.H. John as the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO). This was not their regularly assigned airplane. They spotted 3 MiGs and in the ensuing engagement shot down one MiG-21 with a Sidewinder missile (AIM-9). This action marked a first for the Saratoga Air Wing and for an East Coast fighter squadron. The Mig-Kill wasin Bu. No. 157293 Bu. No. 157307 was assigned to Cmdr. Flynn after the Kill.

I believe one of the oldest squadrons and also the only one with a kill in all three wars ... :pilot

Call sign Felix ... I'll spend most of tomorrow clearing bench ...

I also have these additional items ...

hbb5c9fa.JPG

h50aebfb_2017-04-05.JPG

As I said Hippie and I started this Group build together ... when forum busted up ... He had always ribbed Me as to when I was going to finish this ... So as I figure Ed's up there watching Here goes ...

hb7a4c10.JPG

The Fuse was taped & lines were drawn ....

hdc5da50.JPG

hc66a2cb.JPG

This hurt cutting a perfectly good kit ... As I had never done this before ...

hedffa17.JPG

hd72cf91.JPG

h9f4403f.JPG

h7cb0fcd.JPG

Looked like a few fit troubles but nothing some putty won't fix ... I'm going to try my best to fix this as I admit I got scared as to whether I was this type of modeler ...

Thanks Dave there will be some panel lines that need lined up ... and what not ... :salute

Yes but this one scored a Mig-21 ... Another reason I shelved this ... My Hands Were sore & I was getting to the curved surfaces needed a guide ...

Wishing you all the best on this one. You are a braver man than I. The fitting of the resin parts looks like a lot of work.
Tally Ho!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Fellers ... like I said Ed talked me into this thing I've never done anything this like this before, panel line suck bad enough ... :pilot

hf814ab3.jpg

This squadron flying off the Saratoga goes way back. This is a painting of a F4B taking off from a carrier and the title is "Felix leaving Sarah". Gary S.

Yes Gary I've done lots of research on this & Sara the original Mig-Kill was accomplished By Cmdr. Flynn in Bu. No. 157307 Bandwagon 106 ... the Mig-kill was put on Bu. No. 157293 bandwagon 101 ... So My delima all the info is correct for the two planes. I'll need different decals as this is what I have ...

h3f5a247.JPG

Such a problem but the Bu. No. 157307 Bandwagon 106 decals are only made in 1:72 as far as I know the Mig-kill was placed on 101 ... :idonno :pilot

I've cemented the wing tanks ...

h2df39ae.JPG

working on fit of pit ...

h3fe7a09.JPG

h33dc72b.JPG

h17831d0.JPG

I need to go ahead and paint pit ... before I go much further ...
Now on to the Horizontal stabilizer's ... the Navy version didn't have this arrow looking reinforcing tab

h67abf4c.JPG

h1f3c753_2017-04-19.JPG

They have been removed ...

hd58980e.JPG

h03b1034.JPG

I've started working on top on the main wing ...

h62401f5.JPG

h5d14493.JPG

Lots to do ... I'm glad I have a year on this one ... as there is another project on my bench ....
Roofing the wife's home ... she just let's me stay here ...

Back