• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Monogram Typhoon

Adam

I picked this up at a show for $5 and have been very slowly working on it for a week and a half. It's of course a very basic vintage kit as far as cockpit and wheel well detail and the like go. It does look like a Typhoon though. I made some simple seatbelts out of masking tape and wire just to give it a little something under the canopy, nothing too spiffy. This will require a bit more filling and sanding than most of the kits I have put together lately but nothing too bad. Something will have to be done about that gunsight though and I have already cut out the molded in radiator flap and plan to scratch one from aluminum and sheet styrene. The rockets and rails are also pretty shabby. I haven't decided if I'll use them or put a couple pylons and 500 lb bombs on from the spares box. Anyways here's where I am now.

Typhoon1.jpg

Typhoon2.jpg

Typhoon3.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep on modeling! :)

Thanks much guys! Well I got some small progress accomplished tonight. I scratched the radiator flap out of beer can aluminum and sheet styrene. I made the aluminum part overlap the fuselage by about maybe 0.25mm and the styrene part fits inside the gap. Then I just superglued them together. Then I took the leading edge of the aluminum part and using some flat tweezers I bent up the very edge.

Typhoon4.jpg

Typhoon5.jpg

When it's glued in place it should sit roughly like this:

Typhoon6.jpg

So I still haven't decided on the ordnance this thing will carry. What do you guys think? Should I try to make the blobs of plastic that are supposed to be rockets and rails try to look presentable or should I add some Hasegawa pylons and bombs? Wont be accurate but will still look much better I think than the rockets. I don't know. The rockets just look so cool though. Thoughts??...

Thanks for looking and keep on modeling! :)

I like a clean machine myself.

Good idea about having the overlap, putting that in my notebook. :mpup

It depends on who in the 2nd TAF was flying. They could carry bombs or rockets.
http://www.rcaf.com/Aircraft/aircraftDetail.php?TYPHOON-31
If I remember correctly the Canadians flew mainly bombs

440-typhoon.jpg

but some did carry rockets. I think the Brits where mainly rockets but could carry bombs. This is all being dredged from a cobwebby memory mind you. I would put on wht you like.

This series (4 volumes)

56809269.jpg

is a great ref.
James

James, from what I've read, mostly only the 3 bladed Tiffys carried rockets and this is a 4 bladed one. Also, most of them that carried rockets had the landing lights fared over because they were afraid of the rocket blast melting them. I've got the decals for Pulverizer so that means I won't have to fare the landing lights over. I'm going with the bombs! Thanks! :)

Well I apologize for my long absence. Summer has been a bear and I only recently got this laptop back after the hard drive decided to explode. The good news however is that this one is done! It got turned into a whiffer as the kit decals were trash and I didn't have the gumption to source different ones. All in all I had fun doing this and I see another Typhoon in my future.

Last bit of scratch building was the landing lights:

Typhoon9.jpg

And the finished product:

Typhoon10.jpg

Typhoon11.jpg

Typhoon12.jpg

Typhoon13.jpg

Typhoon14.jpg

Typhoon15.jpg

Typhoon18.jpg

Typhoon19.jpg

Typhoon16.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep on modeling! :silly:

Hey nice build Adam. (y)
I picked up a 1/48 Typhoon from Mono as well not to long back,for $5.

DSCF1518.JPG

A 1995 boxing I belive. :idonno
If I can get mine to look as nice as your's I'll be a happy lad. :)

.Kurt.

Back