• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 U-40 Type IX

Viper_MP

I recently finished this little gem. Its a 1/350 scale Type IX U-boat from Bronco. There aren't a lot of parts to it, but it builds up to a nice little representation. I had a bit of an issue getting the seam out of the side of the hull [top/bottom pieces], but I am very pleased with the outcome. It's finished in Tamiya Sky grey, with camo in German Grey. The lower hull is NATO black mixed with about 15% flat black. The deck is a mix of Tamiya hull red, german grey, and a touch of flat black. Its then washed with Burnt Umber oils. I used invisible thread for the rigging. I was very pleased when it took a silver at our recent contest, where it was up against some fierce competition, including a ship built by Kelly Quirk [IPMS Nationals 2009 Best of Show USS Harry S. Truman].

U-40_1.JPG

U-40_2.JPG

U-40_3.JPG

I have since picked up two of the AFV Club 1/350 U-boats.

Wow, beautiful. Congrats as well. What did you use for the insulators on the antennas? (y) (y)
James

It sometimes happens that you come across a certain model that looks so good that, although it is not in one's "line of choice", you just feel the itch to build it. That's what happened when I saw your U-boat, Viper! :notworthy

I have never, ever, even played with the idea of assembling a sub, but I would like to try one out for size now - don't know when I'll do it, but I'm pretty sure I will. :dude More pics, please... :)

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Hey Guys. thanks for the comments and sorry for the late reply. jknaus, the insulators are little drops of super glue touched with NATO black paint. Closer shots below.

Ok, y'all asked for more pictures, well....ask and ye shall receive!!

Type IX (1).JPG

Type IX (2).JPG

Type IX (3).JPG

Type IX (4).JPG

Type IX (5).JPG

Type IX (6).JPG

Type IX (7).JPG

Type IX (8).JPG

Type IX (9).JPG

Very nice indeed!! I have one of these in the stash and must get around to building it.thanks for the inspiration.

Beautiful work. I'll need to pick up one of these to build a model of the uboat that was sunk of the coast of New Orleans.

Very Nice (y)
I too keep eyeing a big sub model at the local Hobby Lobby, even took it of the shelf and walked around with it BUT I was there to get more lumber for the Clipper build and put it back...arrrrrg

Tim

I love it! Dude, that's fine work on a tiny boat like that. I've got a 1/72 Gato with all the trimmings- it's a constant temptation.

Very nice work, Rob! I'm interested in your riggings, what do you mean by "invisible threads". What material did you use.
Recently I tried to build a type VIIB 1:350 as I've bought many of them (3 Hobby Boss's and 2 AFV Club's) but found out that it's a tough job to work with PE and small parts, so I switched to building a 75mm Recoilless Rifle 1:6 instead. It's not finished yet but I'll try to finish it.

sorry for the late reply. I've been busy off the forums for a while. MM, Invisible thread is a product available in most fabric stores. Its basically thin monofilament similar to fishing line, althought you can get it in smake [black]. Its great for rigging, and much stronger than anything else.

Greetings Rob;

..... Very nice for 1/350th scale....... great detail, and
excellent paint.

............... :yipee ...,

Mike

Back