• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Tamiya British Challenger 1 Mk 3

Tankbuilder

Shalom.

I'm nearly ready to put on the base colour. I just have a couple of parts to add for the commander's machine gun. I also need to decide whether to place the water can holders at the rear of both Choban armour sideskirts or place the two of them on the left sideskirt with one at the rear and the other at the front.

Hmm? I just thought that perhaps the images I've seen without a holder on the right is also of a tank with the two holders on the left like I've seen in some images in Desert Storm 1.

Anyhow, Modelling Insanity struck me last night as I was working on cleaning up the parts for the commander's periscope housing. The madness was to make the protective door for the housing moveable - which I did.

Here are 5 images of the model as it looks now. In 2 images you can see the periscope door closed and in 2 other images you can see it open.

There are a few more parts to go on before I paint it but I have to sand and perhaps fill the sides of the periscope housing to get rid of the joint.

I decide to leave off the Choban armour sideskirts until after everything is painted. Ditto for the wheels. That will make both painting and assembling the kit tracks much easier.

Comments are welcomed.

Cheers from Peter

Nice job Peter, took me a little to find what you did but I see it now. Get some close ups if you will. :popcorn

Nice job Peter, took me a little to find what you did but I see it now. Get some close ups if you will. :popcorn

Shalom Moon Puppy.

Here are 3 images that show the periscope door closed, partly open and fully open.
PeriscopeDoor1aClosed.jpg
[/URL]

PeriscopeDoor1cFullyOpen.jpg
[/URL]

PeriscopeDoor1bPartlyOpen.jpg
[/URL]

Comments are welcomed.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Looks cool. Looks like it would be a challenge to do.
James

Shalom James.

It was interesting and needed a tiny drill bit. The bit sure flexed a lot too but I kept just the slightest pressure on it so it wouldn't break. Here's a closeup image of the drill bit I used sitting on a Canadian one cent coin (same size as US penny) and beside the commander's hatch. I hventedcemented the hatch to the turret yet because it's a lot easier to paint the glass areas with the unit off the model than on it.

Comments are welcomed.

Cheers from Peter

Nice chally,is that the Tamiya Desertized version ?

Shalom.

Thanks. This is the Tamiya British Challenger 1 Mk3 kit #35154 model which can be built Desert or NATO (@$41.99 CDN locally). The Tamiya Desertised Challenger kit is the Challenger 2 kit #35274 (@$71.99 CDN locally). The Challenger 2 is such a different tank from the Challenger 1 (only -5% of parts are interchangeable)that it was recomended to the British Defence Ministry that the new Challenger 2 tank be given a different name.

The kit I have was a fairly simple build out of the box. I just added the commander's workable persicope dor because I wanted to see if I could do it. The nice thing is the 3-pieces that make u yhe housing. The top piece is separate and so I was able to hide the hinge pin when the top piece was cemented in position as it has the hinge pin cover molded in place.

Cheers from Peter

Back