• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WNW and TVAL closing? The End

Open box, really I'll build mine. I got the J1, SE5, in the stash and the Triplane and Camel on the way.

No matter what happens it's unlikely the kits will go away for ever unless PJ hordes the tooling for spite (or dumps it in the ocean like they did with the Delorian tooling). The tooling is too valuable not to sell. They are still cranking out kits from the tooling of almost all of the now long gone kit makers of old. Worst case it means the break up of the very talented and dedicated design and manufacturing folks.

Just grabbed up the Immelmann Fokker E.II and Hawker DH.2 from Andy's Hobby HQ as they're some of my favorite early war fighters...

More accurate reason for the closing

This morning there was a new post from a very good WWI A/C site.
"
"Sad news from New Zealand today indicates Wingnut Wings has been closed down permanently and its assets are to be sold off.
Details are yet to be publicly disclosed but it’s understood staff have been informed they no longer have jobs at Wingnuts, and all assets- the moulds etc- are to be disposed of.
Wingnuts, which was begun by Sir Peter Jackson in 2009, has like many NZ businesses been locked down recently due to the coronavirus shutdowns there.
The business issues affecting the decision to close the business permanently are not yet known but are not thought to be entirely due to the Covid 19 issue.
The Forum contacted Wingnuts’ General Manager, Richard Alexander yesterday and sought comment. He responded that an official statement would be forthcoming.
When we approached him today on this matter, the email diverted to a message referring all future Wingnut Wings matters to Clare Olssen and Kate Leppard.
Clare Olssen is Chief Executive Officer of WingNut Films and Kate Leppard is the company’s Chief Financial Officer.
We sought official comment from Clare Olssen and Kate Leppard. We asked about the status of the Wingnut Wings business, the employment status of staff and the situation re pending mail orders in their system.
There has been no response from the designated contacts for Wingnut Wings. Significantly Richard’s name now no longer appears on replies from his official email address.
Update: late today Richard Alexander confirmed to the Forum that he is no longer at Wingnut Wings. Asked about the situation there he said "I am not able to comment at this time".
The Wingnuts website is still active and accepting online orders however due to the uncertainty about the company’s status now, it is suggested Forum members consider whether to place any further orders with their online store until the company officially clarifies the status of its current pending orders.
It’s understood there are also major job cuts at the Vintage Aviator (TVAL) too with all aircraft production stopped, most staff made redundant and the company retrenched to a maintenance team for the existing aircraft collection.
Sir Peter Jackson has made no comment on the closure decisions. "

Still nothing on their page though.
James

Thanks James! That is a sad thing to see. I wish them all well and hope everything works out in the end. I expect we will see the Lancasters and HP's someday as there are molds and they were in the refining stage. I expect the kits will become quite collectible now.

I should receive the two I ordered from Sprue Bros later today. Might order one or two more if they still have them.

I have a pretty good stack of kits as well. I expect we will see them again in some other kind of reboxing. I hope the guys working there can get new jobs again really soon. I met a couple at the Nats last year and they were really decent folks.

Lol, the kits are dropping like flies on Sprue Brothers. Just seen 3 more go sold out.

I ordered the Taube and Halberstadt kits Sunday. They arrived today. Glad I finally got the Taube as it was one I wanted from when it was announced.

Only a few are left green on the Sprue Bros site. Don't really expect many to come in after they sell out.

Another thing I just spent all morning on the TVAL site. Didn't really know about it before. Spent the morning downloading photos. Not sure how long the TVAL site will stay up.

Tried ordering some of the spare engine sprues from the WnW site and it wouldn't let me so there's that...

I did place one about a week ago and my payment did go through. If nothing comes of it, guess I will have to do a charge back?

Wish I could get a few more Albies but just too expensive right now. And there are 3 new kits I have not yet gotten and probably wont get. When I looked at Sprue Brothers this morning the exchange was bad. With shipping 3 kits would come to $500 Cdn and thats just too much.

Wish I could get a few more Albies but just too expensive right now. And there are 3 new kits I have not yet gotten and probably wont get. When I looked at Sprue Brothers this morning the exchange was bad. With shipping 3 kits would come to $500 Cdn and thats just too much.
Ouch

Well, if I had the $$$ to spare right now I'd consider the Gotha UWD but man, that looks like a lot of rigging! (freakin' ugly and ungainly aircraft, Never heard of it but I like it!)

(y)

Well, if I had the $$$ to spare right now I'd consider the Gotha UWD but man, that looks like a lot of rigging! (freakin' ugly and ungainly aircraft, Never heard of it but I like it!)

(y)
I would look at it more as an investment. Hold it for what, 5 years and you'd make it back 10 fold.

Back