• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USAAC Spitfire Mk VC

Well, Airfix made my conversion moot... :D That doesn't mean I will stop.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-spitfire-kit-joins-the-airfix-ranks

Regards,

LOL! I have a similar deal!

Years ago I picked up this. (OK decades ago)

h4e54fe7.jpg

Someone finally started one and was doing a great job and then HK cam out with their B model halfway through.

Last year I picked up this.

Aq-313.jpg

Which would YOU build?

I'm seeing lots of packets of stuff but no model progress??
Where is the Spitty! :eyeroll:
The Spitfire was boxed up to wait for the Airfix announcement (which turned out to be 1/72nd scale). It was forgotten until Eduard released their Spitfire Mk V combo but I don't need, or want a Spitfire Mk. Vb, so I waited for their OverTrees. This is what you see in the last post. I need to find the box to see how I was doing.

Just found this thread :)
Not sure i would agree with your statement there was no such thing as A B C E wings ? Yes they carried different armament packages but were different to cope with these ? Its not like there was one wing and an armourer could fit what guns he wanted that day ?

Not sure i would agree with your statement there was no such thing as A B C E wings ?

Hi Paddy, the statement, based on British documents and explained to me by others, was that the C Type used from the Mk V on, was a Universal wing. Not a specific A/B/C/E wing but different armament load outs on the same exact wing. Provisions were made for different armament layouts. We identify the armament layout but many have come to think it is a specific wing for that armament on the Mk V.

It all started when I asked about this image:

1652444695326.png
Click to see article that got my curiosity up.

If you have other information, I am always happy to learn and update my posts.

I agree its the same design but obviously on all but the C wing the structure was built around a specific loadout so panels were all different for exhaust ports and ammo access and gun bays themselves etc, the C wing had strengthened mounts for bomb pylons and the D wing had a structure built around extra internal fuel tanks. Some C? wings even carried 50 calibre browning's in US use .

The panels themselves are the only difference, nothing structural changed. That is how I understood it. Indeed, it was stated that the Mk V 'C wing' (a.k.a. Universal wing) could also take 8 machine guns. The Mk IX wing is essentially the same but not referred to in any Air Publications as having 'B'/'b', 'C'/'c' or 'Universal' wings.

I will try to find those threads as you have piqued my curiosity once more.

Back