• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USAAC Spitfire Mk VC

Not much but I did remove the wheel well detail to replace it. Simply didn't have time to take new photos.

Chappie004.jpg

Regards,

Had a sick day so I put in a few hours to clean up my workbench and work on the wings. boring stuff, primed, filled, sanded... twice so far. Then it is time to restore the panel lines.

Chappie006.JPG

I also started the cockpit since I got in the Eduard PE. Mostly drilling out the holes and adding new lightening holes.

Regards,

I saw someone posting on Facebook about a great tip they discovered. They attached the pre-painted Eduard self adhesive (SA series) instrument panels to tape to simulate glass. Well, I had tried that years ago and found that the tape's adhesive would dry out and turn amber at worst, yellow dust at best.

So, here is what I did after some more thought. I simply used cellophane, but not tape. Cellophane sheets are used for protecting papers and on some packages. There is no adhesive so you use what you want (PVA works best).

In this photo, the panel has a pebbly finish which is fine. The cellophane is already in place to simulate glass.
Chappie008.JPG

Here, we see that the finish is actually horizontal lines. I don't care for it and prefer Yahu's approach. However, I will keep this one as I plan to have a pilot that will limit the focus into the cockpit, sort of a cockpit blocker.
Chappie007.JPG

In the photos above you can see the effect. Simply cut the panels needing the glass off the fret and press onto the cellophane. Then trim away the excess cellophane. I will state that you should use a brand new and sharp knife. I've found the sharpest to be Swann-Morton scalpels and Olfa plus X-Acto Z blades for hobby knife handles.

Regards,

Work on the exhausts started... one side is completed but I need to work on the other for the after picture.

Here is the before:
Chappie005.jpg

I need to cut the gun heat intensifier tube from the rear of the exhaust and plate over the entry hole on the nose.

Compare to the photos of Chappie:

hd8eb3ea_2018-05-06.jpg

h4724105_2018-05-06.jpg

While you're at it, look at the long teeth at the front and compare to the decals which lack them!
EagleStrikeSpitVCChappie48229.jpg

I have some painting work to do...

Regards,

Neat trick, I agree with you about Eduard, the texture is just weird and not really to scale. Looking good Saul. :popcorn

Crap... wasted one hour cutting the bolts & washers from the Airfix head armor along with the head rest and placing them all on the Eduard PE armor replacement. I thought I was ahead of the game until I look at the photographs of the real deal and it seems that they don't have headrests!

h1243be6.jpg

hc33545a.jpg

h13868aa.jpg

you can even see it on the subject aircraft! :evil:

ha1fb59f.jpg

Well, took off the headrest, and ensuring the marks are gone and need to scratch the bolts/washers which got lost during the repair. The good news? I have time today to fix it and post an update!

Yes, I know...
:nopics

Regards,

I'm about to cut foil for oxygen bottle straps when I realize... maybe I'm into sharks a bit too much?

LeadFoil.JPG

Regards,

Back