• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USAAC Spitfire Mk VC

One step forward, two steps back!

Recall that I bought a QuickBoost replacement DeHavilland Propeller with tool:
LOMSpitVbuy1005.JPG

Well, this aircraft used the Rotol propeller!
Spitfire_Mk_Vc_USAAF_Chappie_M236.jpg

Luckily I had the UltraCast Rotol propeller which looked better than the kit and I was able to use the QuickBoost jig to drill the mounting hole and set the prop angles:

Chappie009.JPG

Chappie010.JPG

Now let's compare in service photographs of Chappie and we'll note that the right side image is reversed!
ha1fb59f.jpg

Corrected
Spitfire_Mk_Vc_USAAF_Chappie.jpg

Close up...
h4724105_2018-05-06.jpg

Things to note (since the Airfix kit has so many options):

• Spinner was a dark color, probably red
  • Rear view mirror in use
  • Five spoke wheel hubs
  • Internal windscreen armor
  • M236 not seen in photograph
  • Cockpit vents under windscreen on both sides
  • Hole from gun heating tube, behind exhausts, not covered

Lot's of work to do! Luckily, the Eduard Spitfire Mk IX cockpit (for their kits) provides the rear view mirror.

Regards,

There was work done! I removed the wire for the photo as I expect to spray on some color but Jon Tamkin (Mission Models' owner) warned me that I should only use his thinner. I need to buy it. So more work on the desert filter, landing gear (not shown), riveting and adding vents to front fuselage area...

Chappie011.JPG

Not much, but it is progress and it felt good to be at the bench if only for a few hours!

Regards,

There was work done! I removed the wire for the photo as I expect to spray on some color but Jon Tamkin (Mission Models' owner) warned me that I should only use his thinner. I need to buy it. So more work on the desert filter, landing gear (not shown), riveting and adding vents to front fuselage area...

Chappie011.JPG

Not much, but it is progress and it felt good to be at the bench if only for a few hours!

Regards,

Git'er done

Saul, it's fantastic seeing you on the workbench too. Superb progress on these amazing parts. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The Africa Campaign may be over, but I am not done with Chappie:
Chappie012.JPG

I also did get the thinner I needed:
P-51MissionModelsPaint.JPG

Regards,

Putting a spin on this... OK, spinner.

I bought this a while back since UltraCast is well known for their accurate accessories so the spinner on the right would make it onto one of my builds.
UltraCast4804448115.jpg

However, I bought this propeller with tool for this build only to find out it is not the type used by Chappie:
LOMSpitVbuy1005.JPG

A look at Chappie Revealed the long Rotol so I thought, no problem, use the UltraCast and the QuickBoost tool to drill the prop shaft:
Chappie009.JPG

Chappie010.JPG

Yet, looking at the UltraCast part and this photo, it became obvious that the kit part was more accurate but not detailed:

he52e922.jpg

So, I added the lock slot, some panel lines, refined shapes, the button on the tip and prop blade bosses:

Chappie013.JPG

Not much but progress nonetheless.

Regards,

So, I added the lock slot, some panel lines, refined shapes, the button on the tip and prop blade bosses:

Chappie013.JPG

What a crappy photo! None of the details can be seen. I'll take a better image soon. In the meantime, Chappie's shoes came in:
Chappie014.JPG

Regards,

Very nice and refined work Saul. I really like your reference Pictures as well.

BTW one of my next Project will be exactly your "signature" - a peruvian Hind (Mi-25 Export Version).

Cheers

Alex

Back