• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

These Go To Eleven TASK COMPLETE!

These Go To Eleven

I was once listening to Johnnie's brother perform Frankenstein on the Sansui ... when the praying Hands My Mom had jumped on the floor ... That little diddy brought back lots of Memories ... (y)

These Go To Eleven

That's Fronkensteen. :laugh:

I've made some progress over the past two days, update later this afternoon. A big thank you to all for checking in.

:drinks

These Go To Eleven

I was once listening to Johnnie's brother perform Frankenstein on the Sansui ... when the praying Hands My Mom had jumped on the floor ... That little diddy brought back lots of Memories ... (y)

If you had a Sansui, that's a memory in itself :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

These Go To Eleven

Youse mugs is slippin', I break out a Young Frankenstein and nobody jumps in. :eek:hmy: Where wolf? :idonno

OK, so we're still massaging the Italian job. AMT made both these kits with floor pans that result in horizontal body seams that would be quite noticeable after assembly. Not an option, you just can't make them look right and the fit of the old tooling is lousy. This is a recent reproduction kit, so couple the fit issues with the new soft plastic they are made from, sanding, grinding and cutting are a challenge. The plastic kind of rolls up and you have to use an X-Acto to clean the edge. It's the damnedest thing. :idonno Here's where we are currently.

Virgin floor pan:

IMG_7343.JPG

Whack the outside edges off:

IMG_7344.JPG

See that nasty burr? :pinch:

Glue the outside edges to the upper body, get out the filler. :facepalm

IMG_7384.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

Fit on one side was pretty good, but their symmetry was off, as the other side has a big gap and the shape is wrong SO, I filed it down to get it close and decided to add a half round bead along the seam to hide the gap and do away with the filler so close to the door gap.

IMG_7386.JPG

I used tape to get the bead straight, then "welded it in place with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

IMG_7388.JPG

I know it wasn't part of the original body, but it serves the purpose and should be subtle enough not to be obvious. More later.

These Go To Eleven

If you had a Sansui, that's a memory in itself :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

I still have the Sansui ... One of the Best Home systems from the Eighties ... I really think they go 12 ... :rotf

These Go To Eleven

Looking very good Mike ... nice Mod on the coupe body ... I didn't Hear Young fronkistein ... but I'm digging your taste in Music ... When I went into the Force I took a John Nitzinger & a ZZ Top albums with Me ... The guys laughed at ZZ top ... Nitzinger never made it but still Louisiana Cock Fight is a great song ... Those little 'ol Bands from Texas Rock ... (y) :ro: :dude (y)

These Go To Eleven

Nice solution. If that trim is not part of the original you should be able to sand it down and it'll fill the gap nicely. :popcorn

These Go To Eleven

See, this is the cool thing about building cars, you can add stuff like this and no one can b!tch about it. :D

All this prep work should pay off though, can't have scratches and such showing thru my paint. :frantic

These Go To Eleven

Good save Mike. I don't think this kit was good even when I was a teenager . Not doubt, not any better now days.

I did not have enough skills to build it back then. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

These Go To Eleven

Many thanks, my friends! You may be asking yourself when will this build kick in? Well, here's what's making this rail go to 11. A vintage Allison V-12! I've accumulated several over the years, you may remember seeing these in the hobby shops.

IMG_7383.JPG

They came molded in chrome, which HAD to go, so I soaked the parts in Super Clean for a couple days.

IMG_7382.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

Stuffing the fat man into this bath tub required mock up, mock up and more mock up. I made motor mounts from scale 2 x 4 square styrene and "welded" them to the chassis.

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG

Checking the fit with the body shell.

IMG_7311.JPG

Now THIS is a valve cover! Coated it with Tamiya gray primer. This is the unbuffed Humbrol.

IMG_7321.JPG

Then shot them with Humbrol Metalcote 27003 and buffed with a Q-Tip.

IMG_7322.JPG

Here's a shot before and after buffing.

IMG_7323.JPG

The chassis wears a coat of Tamiya Light Gunmetal.

IMG_7378.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

That's all for now, much more to come.

Crank it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb-yB4OxGBA

These Go To Eleven

H*ll yes, that may be even pushing to '12' :good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Ian.

These Go To Eleven

I gotts some FEATS! Juanita!!! :notworthy

Looks great Mike.

Juanita has that effect on folks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHuv0tufcE

These Go To Eleven

Very nice work on that Allison ... looking very Good Mike ... :popcorn

Oh and thanks for the Feats this morning ... I needed that ... :woohoo: (y) :good:

Back