• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scratchaeronautics Casa 235M

Thanks for looking in on my model And thanks for the encouragement, I'll need it!
First coats of surfacer/ primer show more filling sanding needing to be done. The bottom hasn't been primed yet.
h0790719.JPG

h46408b2.JPG

:pilot (y)

I bit the bullet and fitted the landing gear, not the dramatic a job as I was expecting. I drilled and slipped the wheels on over the axles and everything looked good...not bad. I used the spare nose gear strut from the Broplan 1/72 ATR in the closet. Anyway the model is up on it's gear and while grabbing the nose oleo from the ATR I also decided to use the scimitar prop blades from that kit. they aren't great but much better than the ones in the Casa kit.
he60c76c.JPG

h4811222.JPG

h92a52db.JPG

h89815f1.JPG

The 1/72 ATR nose gear is just jammed (friction fit) in the opening right now, I’m off for Christmas break now but when I get back to it I’ll shorten the gear and hopefully bring it’s nose down to a more characteristic stance.

there is a ;lot of hard work done to a kit that many would have discarded way before where you are now. Nicely done.

Hi again
Thanks for looking in at the project and positive comments (the encouragement is appreciated!!) I've been doing a lot of filling sanding and priming, over and over basically to try to eliminate bubbles seams and scratches. I have also managed to drop the nose gear by 3mm giving a bit better stance.

h0f61bbb.JPG

h419970d.JPG

h8b283dd.JPG

A bit more work done tonight before tea time...
Broplan 1/72 ATR 72 props attached to the Casa spinners and temporarily stuck in place to check fit and look (they'll do) pitots made from .020 brass rod and sheet styrene, the strakes under the tail also sheet plastic.

h8d202d6.JPG

haafce95.JPG

h822c216.JPG

That is an attractive looking aircraft. Beautiful job on that model. Congrats on dealing so successfully with all the issues.

Thanks men as always, for looking in on my project and for commenting. As usual for me, the decals failed to perform. I was at least expecting it this time as they appear to be home made and clear coated with varnish or something, I duly gloss coated the model, used hot water to soak the decals, placed them in a puddle of micro set and let them sit to dry, upon returning to the model almost an hour later all the decals had curled up and dried curled, the micro set or decal glue melting the gloss coat under the decals. I began going through my stash of decals, I knew I wouldn't have any 1/72 Spanish air force markings and was iffy on (my 2nd choice) French. Right on both concerns so I cobbled together some miscellaneous decals and stuck them on. 1/48 C-130 roundels standing in for French roundels now, serials made from pieces from other kits. The work continued (you knew it would) past the bad decals and into the final stages of work, now flat coated, weathered, paint touched up here and there as required (so far) most all pieces are glued in place only needing the main gear doors which are now in progress.
The next update should (hopefully) be the last for this project.

h6850d84.JPG

hb11b0bf.JPG

h1f7e1e0.JPG

Thank you frank and duke, it looks better from a couple of feet away, not my best model for sure, I strive for mediocrity, but hopefully a learning experience as well!
Once it’s done, I think a nice mainstream plastic kit is in order as a reward for finishing this one!
I’ll build up and install the main gear doors and this one will be done. Thanks for looking and commenting

Back