• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang for my Dad

There's much better looking stuff to go inside that the Eduard stuff. If CMK or Aries has something jump on it.
Or just paint up what's in there from the kit and I'm sure he'll appreciate it. :popcorn

IMG_6576.JPG

The Mission: Make a convincing looking instrument panel.
The Tools: Crappy Kit instrument panel. Eduard painted stuff. Non-magnetic tweezers. A cap from drinking water bottle. C/A blue thin glue. Pencil with broken sewing needle stuck in it. A green dragon. (not Pictured: Black Sharpie marker, Sharp #11 knife blade, Music, Too much coffee, comfy underpants. count your blessings!)
Ready! GO!!!
IMG_6577.JPG

I won't go into too much detail about "how-to". You guys already know it! I edge the painted parts with the Sharpie.
A little C/A is plenty. For attaching smaller parts and clear gauge lenses I'm gonna steal Jon Bond's trick and use future for an adhesive as well. The Dragon's small claws are a BIG Help!! I only lost one part so far. :idonno
IMG_6578.JPG

The General stopped by. :salute Overall in this scale, the Eduard parts are pretty nice. See if you can tell which of the nifty rudder pedals I did first! The second one went better. A vast improvement over the 1967 clunky plastic pedals! :yipee

Thanks for looking in!!

That looks fantastic! Man, it pays to have good help!

Thanks Mike!! The General's input is help as well.

IMG_6576.JPG

The Mission: Make a convincing looking instrument panel.
The Tools: Crappy Kit instrument panel. Eduard painted stuff. Non-magnetic tweezers. A cap from drinking water bottle. C/A blue thin glue. Pencil with broken sewing needle stuck in it. A green dragon. (not Pictured: Black Sharpie marker, Sharp #11 knife blade, Music, Too much coffee, comfy underpants. count your blessings!)
Ready! GO!!!
IMG_6577.JPG

I won't go into too much detail about "how-to". You guys already know it! I edge the painted parts with the Sharpie.
A little C/A is plenty. For attaching smaller parts and clear gauge lenses I'm gonna steal Jon Bond's trick and use future for an adhesive as well. The Dragon's small claws are a BIG Help!! I only lost one part so far. :idonno
IMG_6578.JPG

The General stopped by. :salute Overall in this scale, the Eduard parts are pretty nice. See if you can tell which of the nifty rudder pedals I did first! The second one went better. A vast improvement over the 1967 clunky plastic pedals! :yipee

Thanks for looking in!!

Nice work on the Eduard stuff. Well done! :good:

PORCH RHINO! Why you young Whelp! :bat HA!
2016_Still_just_a_Dollar_281024x80729.jpg
4 years later, Thanksgiving 2016, having your picture take with my Papa is still just one Dollar. There's value for ya!! :good:
IMG_6579.JPG

On the Kit cockpit floor, there is a monster hole, and you are instructed to throw the control stick into it. :facepalm
NO WAY! So while fixing this next glaring flaw, I womped up the little console under the instrument panel, to stick some more cool Eduard p/e parts to.
IMG_6580.JPG

Then, I had to do SOMETHING with the pitiful seat, so I could add the complex p/e belts. GeneraL Olds, and the lil' green dragon were talking flying. A subject they both have boundless knowledge about.
IMG_6581.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

A touch of STYLE, Baby! :woohoo:
Thanks, men for your kindnesses, and for looking in! A fine Model Day was had!!

IMG_6586.JPG

I chose to make the kit seat look more bucket-esque. Stretched sprue, tamiya filler and sanding! It will be only visible from above. I fixed the cockpit floor, and I decided to use more of the nifty P/E parts. I had to make the gear-retract/flaps/hydraulic console out of evergreen square tube.
IMG_6587.JPG

Pre-touch-up/detail. :idonno Seat assembled, less other p/e pieces. Almost ready to paint. New console actually mounts on the cockpit sidewall, but you get the idea. :hmmm
IMG_6588.JPG

I'm enjoying this larger build. It's a nice break from my teenie TLAR stuff! :drinks :eek:ldguy :pilot

thanks for checking out The Papa's Mustang! :notworthy

Fun stuff! I always appreciate folks enhancing the kit parts, anyone can build one OTB, takes a real man to whack one up. :good:

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

There's a catch with the old-school, Revell P-51B Kit. All the filing, sanding. filling that you must do, and the aftermarket stuff you add to make the model presentable. I'm getting ready to spray Zn/Cr green.
IMG_6591.JPG

Closer. Ever closer, My Friends!! The Polish re-issue plastic carves well, is not easy to sand, and glues-up just dandy! :good:

IMG_6593.JPG

I filed/Sanded out the ventral air scoop. the was a lot of hash in there. Since the oil cooler I'm making will be visible, my Papa may peek in there, just to see how much I have learned about Pony Airplanes.
IMG_6594.JPG

Drilled out the formation lights for for backing/Clear Tamiya color/Future treatment
IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

'Twere a fine day for drillin'! Yes, Men, 32 teeny holes in each air outlet plate. Nice sharp new #78 drill bit! (I snapped the old one) It was a mite tedious. I just couldn't leave them alone, and I wasn't gonna spend on more P/E for Her. :bang head
I learn't me sumpthin' else too!! :coolio
IMG_6596.JPG

#78 drill bits drill other things most readily! :facepalm Care in finger placement is advised! :eek:hmy:

Yup, I know that feeling! I not only put a Drill Bit City bit thru the pad of my finger, but snapped the bit off when I realized what I'd done. :facepalm Talk about a double whammy! :frantic

Looking good! :pilot

Back