• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RA-5C...Finished at last !

RA-5C...progress at last !

Just a quick photo to show I am still working on this although the weather has been so nice here in Ohio that I have a hard time staying at the bench. The wings in the photo are not yet attached as I still have more seam work to do on the fuselage which will be easier without the wings. None of the main parts of this kit fit very well. The canopy fit is only marginal so more work will be required there. All moving tail surfaces are going to be finished before attaching as I know they won't survive masking and decal application after installation. The white on the wings and tail surfaces is final but the gray is still primer. The vertical tail needs touched up as I managed to break the top half off while unmasking the green stripe. I hope to be doing the final assembly and paint soon. I'm not having fun with this one !

ra5c-b22.jpg

Loving it. For such a big bird it is so sporty.
James

It has a lot to do with purpose it was designed for James .

This is not a do all airplane . It was design to cruise fast at a low power setting and get to Russia without taking on extra fuel.

Sort of Make me think of the XB-70 design . Very clean and very fast.

Cheers, Christian B)

Finally seeing some light at the end of the tailpipe, wings, intake ramps, canopies and nose cone installed it's beginning to look like a Vigilante.

ra5c-b23.jpg

ra5c-b24.jpg

Baring any painting disasters decals could start going on by the end of the weekend.

James

This is not a do all airplane . It was design to cruise fast at a low power setting and get to Russia without taking on extra fuel.

Cheers, Christian B)

Too bad it pooped its payload out the back though. Still it did make a good recce platform.
James

James

Cheers, Christian B)

Too bad it pooped its payload out the back though. Still it did make a good recce platform.

A most interesting design . As I recall, the payload situation was never really successful but as the mission changed the payload was replaced by multiple fuel cells which were supposed to be jettisonable one at a time as the fuel load was used up, making it easier for the jet to maintain a high rate of speed.

I don't think it was very successful either but it maintained a very clean airframe for high speed.
I only had the pleasure to see one but even on the ramp during it's operational career. It was very clean just sitting there with all the unnecessary gear doors closed up.
These designers were really thinking out of the box (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)
James

Finally seeing some light at the end of the tailpipe, wings, intake ramps, canopies and nose cone installed it's beginning to look like a Vigilante.

ra5c-b23.jpg

ra5c-b24.jpg

Baring any painting disasters decals could start going on by the end of the weekend.

Looks Mach 2 to me. :pilot

Painting went well, gloss coat is on, the plan was to start decaling tonight however late this afternoon my thumb had a close encounter with a sharp object(no it wasn't an x-acto knife)and I had to go and have it stitched up (6 sutures) Not sure how well I can decal one handed but decided to wait until tomorrow to find out. It will give the clear coat longer to cure. I had already decaled the tail several days ago. So close...

ra5c-b25.jpg

Painting went well, gloss coat is on, the plan was to start decaling tonight however late this afternoon my thumb had a close encounter with a sharp object(no it wasn't an x-acto knife)and I had to go and have it stitched up (6 sutures) Not sure how well I can decal one handed but decided to wait until tomorrow to find out. It will give the clear coat longer to cure. I had already decaled the tail several days ago. So close...

ra5c-b25.jpg

Looking very sharp Gary (y) ( no pun intended )

That encounter sounds closer than close :S will most likely be more soar tomorrow . Lot's of stitches for one finger :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Ooch! Sorry about that Gary. hope it heals up soon. She's lookin' great. :popcorn

Looking stellar Gary. Certainly will be one to be proud of. Awesome you were able to find some 1/48 Hoot Owl decals! :ro:

And I know first hand what you've had to deal with on that kit. :frantic

OK, I'm calling this one done. The markings represent an aircraft from RVAH-9 Hoot Owls at NAS Key West in August of 1977,just before the unit was decommissioned. While it is the correct squadron for Ed's Uncle, his Uncle flew an early model RA-5C and the kit more closely resembles a late run RA-5C.

I chose for several reasons to make this a clean aircraft. Most photo's show they were kept very clean and with all of the coats of primer and finish coats applied the panel lines were too shallow to hold a wash anyway. I dirtied up the wheel wells and struts and applied some soot at the back by the exhaust outlets as most photos show that to be the case.

Anyway, here are the finish photos

ra5c-b26.jpg

ra5c-b27.jpg

ra5c-b28.jpg

ra5c-b29.jpg

ra5c-b30.jpg

ra5c-b31.jpg

ra5c-b32.jpg

ra5c-b33.jpg

ra5c-b34.jpg

The RA-5C was quite advanced for it's time with a lot of things like heads up display, fly by wire and advanced navigation systems. It set the standards in appearance with it's large square intake ramps for another generation of fighters. It had the highest loss rate of any aircraft during the Vietnam conflict, one of the results of depending only on speed to keep you safe when you go in harms way. It was the heaviest aircraft to make routine landings on a carrier and as a result was considered a tough plane to fly. It also did it's job very well and it was a number of years after it was retired before the Navy again had the capability it had with the RA-5C.

I have wanted to build one of these for a long time due to my input on the last production run. It's too bad that Trumpeter made such a mess of it. Had this been the first Trumpeter I ever built, it probably would have been my last.

I think Ed would have liked it, I hope he's looking in.

Thanks for looking !

Back