• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RA-5C...Finished at last !

Old Dog

I'm probably digging my self a hole by going with this choice but I have wanted to do it for a long time so for better or worse here goes, wish me luck.

For those that don't know this kit was done by Trumpeter's "C" team. Forget the A and B team, these guys really made a mess of things. Shape issues, fit issues and oh yes the mad rivet maniac was on the team as well. The rivet issue alone as put me off building this kit for a long time. For the better part of nine months I walked the full length of the Vigilante assembly line to get to my work area and I can say with authority that a mach two aircraft does not have either rivet bulges or divots. From ten feet away you wouldn't notice the rivets except for a fact they are a different color than the skin and after painting they all but disappear. So I have a lot of divots to fill.

When I purchased the kit my aim was to build one of the last series built as those were the ones I made parts for but I'm still wavering on markings as you will see later. This kit is a good example of how to take a pricey kit and make it really expensive as you will see when you look at the after market. I was fortunate to get all the Cutting edge stuff before they closed their doors. I could probably make a hefty profit selling it on ebay now.

If all of this wasn't enough the kit takes me out of my comfort zone on several levels including painting large areas white so I may be throwing up the white flag on numerous occasions. Well that's enough whining and verbiage for now, here are the time stamp photos...

ra-5c-ts1.jpg

ra-5c-ts2.jpg

And a look at some of the AM stuff starting with replacement gear bays, Eduard PE, Master pitot tube, late series intakes, seamless intakes, resin burner cans and intake plugs.

ra-5c-ts3.jpg

Choices for markings and a Nautilus set to make up for a serious lack of internal bracing.

ra-5c-ts4.jpg

And a Cutting Edge correction set for the forward fuselage and replacement upper tail.

ra-5c-ts5.jpg

So you can see I'm gonna have my hands full with this one not only with the AM but issues with the kit like this molding defect that runs most of the length of the fuselage.

ra5c-01a.jpg

The fun probably won't start till I finish a couple other builds so check back in a month or so.

RA-5C

I remember that JFK machine from he old Airfix box-art,

h461c6e4.jpg

Looking forward to this, Gary :popcorn

Ian.

RA-5C

Hey Gary, I have built the 1/72 Vigi from Kangnam, Trumpeter, Airfix & Just completed the Hasegawa kit. I have the 1/48 Trumpy in the stash with the Black Box cockpit set waiting in the wings. I agree with ya on the defects & shape issues which is partly why I haven't tackled it yet.
1st off, this kit represents the 156 series with the -10 engines & Leading edge extensions. The only time the Vigi used drop tanks was on ferry flights which was a rare occurrence.

I see you have the Nautilus set, I've heard there were some "fit issues" with it and the Aries landing gear bays...

RA-5C

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find issues with the Aries set, I don't think any of them are easy to fit. Fortunately the Nautilus set being wood shouldn't be that hard to modify if need be. Time will tell !

RA-5C

Wood? Wait..what? Where does that come into play? OK see the laser cut sheet. Is that internal bracing for the seamless intakes?

RA-5C

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find issues with the Aries set, I don't think any of them are easy to fit. Fortunately the Nautilus set being wood shouldn't be that hard to modify if need be. Time will tell !

I do not recall what the modification was, just remembered there was a problem with it. Just wanted you to be aware of it if you hadn't heard. :good:

RA-5C

Bob, the rather large and wide fuselage has very little internal bracing. Left on its own the bottom seam wants to sag inward without some help and that's where the Nautilus set comes into play. It also provides a solid mount for the burner cans at the back. I used one of their spar sets on Condor build and it gave the wing to fuselage mounting a lot of extra strength.

RA-5C

I'm not quite ready to start this one yet but I decided to do some planning on how to attack this. I started out cleaning up some of the resin stuff from Cutting Edge. For the most part disappointment followed. First the replacement nose section. Unless you are a Vigi fanatic you probably won't know that Trumpeter got a lot of the shapes wrong on this kit. One of the easiest to fix was the nose section which in the kit is a bit too flat and wide. This part was supplied by Cutting Edge with a number of others in their update set. Once I had the parts cleaned of excess resin I taped them together...

ra5c-b01.jpg

Hmmmmmm, I was expecting better from Cutting Edge, if you line up the rear section which must mate with the fuselage...

ra5c-b02.jpg

You get this at the front end...

ra5c-b03.jpg

Yeah, it's fixable, just not fun. A quick test fit of the cockpit floor hints there may be other issues but I will need to get the pit built up first.

Next up was the replacement main wheel bays from Aires. These are quite nice and certainly look a lot better than the kit supplied part...

ra5c-b04.jpg

The even fit like they are supposed to...

ra5c-b05.jpg

But since they are the correct depth, using them with the Cutting Edge seamless intakes is not a happening thing...

ra5c-b06.jpg

Even using the Kit supplied wheel bays the intakes are a very tight fit and don't line up with the engine face...

ra5c-b07.jpg

This is not a huge problem as I had no intentions of using the kit engines any way but the intakes are also going to interfere with the Nautilus support brace. The kit supplies no intakes at all just a big square hole looking into the interior of the model. The easy way out of course is just use intake plugs, a pair of them is supplied with the Nautilus set and a resin set is available from Steel Beach.

And I thought the biggest problem other than the poor fitting kit itself and filling all of the rivet divots would be choosing decals :facepalm

Soooo, I need to get the Nautilus brace assembled and see what else is impacted and figure out what gets used and what doesn't. I'm hoping I can shorten the seamless intakes and maybe attach the engine faces to them if nothing else to avoid the hollow fuselage look, worst case it's intake plugs. Stay tuned for episode 2. Thanks for looking.

RA-5C..epsode 1 After market...the agony of defeat

Oh what did I get myself into..... :pinch:

Well, first of all don't panic. The Cutting edge stuff is only available these days on Evilbay at stupid prices so don't bother. Honestly the kit doesn't look that bad OOB. Get or make your own intake plugs. I'm seriously considering not using the Cutting Edge nose. Eduard has some PE for the pit, I do think the Nautilus brace set is worth while if you can find one if not reinforce the top and bottom seams with some styrene strips. Much of the bottom seam will be covered by the canoe. I'm a bit more fussy about things because I worked for a while in the plant where they were made and saw them on a daily bases as well as built some of the PECM antennas that were used on the last production run. Built OOB 98% of the world will not notice any of its short comings.

Oh it's going forward one way or another. :laugh:

But yeah, mine will be pretty much all OOB aside from decals.

RA-5C

Hmmmmmm, I was expecting better from Cutting Edge, if you line up the rear section which must mate with the fuselage...

ra5c-b02.jpg

You get this at the front end...

ra5c-b03.jpg

You sure that was Cutting Edge and not Fonderie Miniature??? Looks like my Do 24 fuselage!!

:rotf

Ouch. Watching with interest though.
James

Oh man, I think I would line up the nose and fill in where it mates at the fuselage. Got your work cut out for ya Gary. :zen

Back