• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RA-5C...Finished at last !

RA-5C...progress at last !

OK, I'm calling this one done. The markings represent an aircraft from RVAH-9 Hoot Owls at NAS Key West in August of 1977,just before the unit was decommissioned. While it is the correct squadron for Ed's Uncle, his Uncle flew an early model RA-5C and the kit more closely resembles a late run RA-5C.

I chose for several reasons to make this a clean aircraft. Most photo's show they were kept very clean and with all of the coats of primer and finish coats applied the panel lines were too shallow to hold a wash anyway. I dirtied up the wheel wells and struts and applied some soot at the back by the exhaust outlets as most photos show that to be the case.

Anyway, here are the finish photos

ra5c-b26.jpg

ra5c-b27.jpg

ra5c-b28.jpg

ra5c-b29.jpg

ra5c-b30.jpg

ra5c-b31.jpg

ra5c-b32.jpg

ra5c-b33.jpg

ra5c-b34.jpg

The RA-5C was quite advanced for it's time with a lot of things like heads up display, fly by wire and advanced navigation systems. It set the standards in appearance with it's large square intake ramps for another generation of fighters. It had the highest loss rate of any aircraft during the Vietnam conflict, one of the results of depending only on speed to keep you safe when you go in harms way. It was the heaviest aircraft to make routine landings on a carrier and as a result was considered a tough plane to fly. It also did it's job very well and it was a number of years after it was retired before the Navy again had the capability it had with the RA-5C.

I have wanted to build one of these for a long time due to my input on the last production run. It's too bad that Trumpeter made such a mess of it. Had this been the first Trumpeter I ever built, it probably would have been my last.

I think Ed would have liked it, I hope he's looking in.

Thanks for looking !

I'm sure the Hippy would have been thrilled to see this Gary, great tribute. :good:

I agree, this is a fantastic tribute to Hippy Ed. I do hope mine turns out half a swell as this one did. You've done his memory a great honor. Thank you.

I agree, this is a fantastic tribute to Hippy Ed. I do hope mine turns out half a swell as this one did. You've done his memory a great honor. Thank you.

I couldn't say it any better ... excellent build Gary ... I know both are looking down & smiling like a possum eating green persimmons !!! :salute :woohoo: (y)

Back