• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Newest Paul Budzik videos

Somewhat helpful, at least in understanding some of the terms but a lot of it went way over my head. Wow, I loved the stacking feature and remote controlling it from the computer but my 15 year old digital doesn't have remote inputs and at my age :eek:ldguy I can't justify spending the dough it cost to get one that can be.

Somewhat helpful, at least in understanding some of the terms but a lot of it went way over my head. Wow, I loved the stacking feature and remote controlling it from the computer but my 15 year old digital doesn't have remote inputs and at my age :eek:ldguy I can't justify spending the dough it cost to get one that can be.

Garry, I totally agree with your sentiments . I would also say that if I was making money at this, it might justify the expense .

Cheers, Christian B)

It's all great info, but the c'mon, his shift tilt lens is well north of $2K.

I have live view remote control on my Canon, but I think to shift focus I'd need a servo control for the lens. At least that's what's required for the animation programs, you can change the setting, but you can't rotate the lens without, well, rotating the lens.

Even manual stacking is going to require so much time (and expensive software) that at least for my purposes just taking different angles or more closeups is a better choice.

I love his videos, but sometimes I think he's pushing the envelope into professional caliber fields, well beyond a hobby.

Yeah , maybe . I have found many helpful tips in his tutorials but I'm to the point that I don't believe he knows all of this.
I think someone is doing research and he's reading the teleprompter .

That does not take away from the gathered facts but in the end :coolio I have models to build

I use F32-40 and 4 to 8 seconds for the exposures and think I get pretty good results with my Pentax K-5. I use Corel Photopaint and the unsharp mask once in awhile. One downside of long exposures and small apertures is that every single dust particle shows up and has to be cloned out, so you will spend more money keeping the sensor clean. I hear people talking about macro lenses for model photography but I can't see that they have any benefit.

Focus stacking might be nice if I was trying to shoot magazine cover photos. Wouldn't any camera with autofocus be able to work with stacking software?

I use a couple of high resolution "point and click" Nikons for most of my hobby photos. They have pretty small lenses and I always take 2 to 4 shots per each setup. That more than anything else helps with getting clear shots to use in my posts. There is almost always one bad fuzzy shot from me moving or poor autofocus. Also usually have one decent shot.

Yeah I end up with a lot of photos in the build file but I delete the real bad ones to save space. Then to keep from having to dig through all those photos each time, I create a "Used" folder which the ones I am finished with go into. Handy, but out of the way. That way each new posting set only has a few images to deal with that are current. Keeps it simple. If I do need an older photo out of the "Used" folder I use my Firehand Ember photo organising software to find it and move it back up from the "Used" folder.

Most of the editing then is in my older version of Canvas (version 10). Version 16 is horrible a total fail and 17 is only a slight bit better. Neither work as well as 10 due to things that were changed for the MUCH worse or due to tools removed. :vmad :bang head :vmad :bang head

The tools for editing photos are mainly Crop, Brightness/Contrast, an occasional sharpen, and in cases with some found small reference photos That I want to make larger Blur-Average and Blur-Gausian smooth the pisxlation and turn it into a decent photo.

The best results I get are mostly from the Brightness/Contrast tool.

Newest ones are out now. Looks so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV006PAuIbw&feature=em-uploademail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCqmEi2NdI

James

I don't agree with him what he says about 3d printing of model parts. It's just another medium the artist uses.

I don't agree with him what he says about 3d printing of model parts. It's just another medium the artist uses.

I agree with your disagreement.

He's way off base with that and frankly I'm surprised since he owns every tool in the known universe. Ironic.

I'm pretty adept at wrangling something into shape, but trust me, I can sculpt Oddball in a fraction of the time I could sculpt a symmetrical shape like his goggles. And in a thousand years I could never sculpt even close to a perfect sphere, but my cheapo home made 3D printer can do it all day long.

You can take his logic down the rabbit hole: 'Oh nice model, did you use your shop full of the best tools available? Because I used a hand saw and sandpaper.' 'Oh nice, you used a hand saw? I used a rusted utility knife and a rasp." 'Great work, I found a tree branch shaped like a Neptune and rubbed it on rock until it was done."

I really like his work and appreciate what he does, but I never understand when someone disparages another approach, especially while calling it art. It's all art.

Personally I suck at 3D design and will never put the time into learning it, I am a hands on type, but as you say MP, it's just a tool. I'm astounded by what a 3D designer can do, just like I am by a scratch builder.

You can carefully plant a garden and use everything in it to make oil paints to paint that garden and hang it on a wall for people to admire for hundreds of years or you can sit at a computer terminal and make a billion people think a X wing is attacking a Star Destroyer, either way, it takes talent and it's art.

While I have not had a chance to watch the video yet, if he is dissing in any way 3D printing or the process that it takes to do it he is a fool. From experience it takes another creative skill set to work 3d on a computer and to get it right can be more challenging and difficult than just carving it straight out. I have done some 3d computer design and it is another tool that actually works quite well in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. While for me the 3d printing is intriguing, the affordable printers are still too crude for my taste, there are some really high res printers that can do super fine detail, BUT they are EX-SPEN-SIVE!!

As Jeff pointed out it is another tool. I am all for having nice tools and using them. some folks can have the best tools avilable but if they don't know how to use them it won't matter.

After watching the videos, I must agree with Bob and Jeff. It can take a more involved skill set to use the computer for various patterns and to be able to create a 3D model in a computer medium. I use my computer all the time to create patterns for various things on my builds.

Here is an example of a part designed on the computer and then the pattern printed out to make the plastic piece.

Ju87A-048a.jpg

I first did this on my Ju88 build with a couple of bulkheads at the rear of the engine nacelles. I had 3 photos in a book of that bulkhead and the space it had to fit on the kit. By joining and manipulating the photos to the actual space it had to fit I was able to make a quite detailed pattern and then parts. It would have been quite difficult without using the computer.

I was doing something quite similar to make the instrument panels for the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon cockpit. Again, it was taking a photo, adjusting it to the size and shape that it was needed and then creating the drawings and patterns to do what was going to be needed. 3D work on the computer is very much the same thing and if done right can be very accurate. With practice it can also be done fairly quickly. (Boy am I out of practice on that! :S )

I wondered what happened. I tried to find an airbrush video for a buddy a couple of weeks ago and it had vanished.

I see he's put up new ones, but they are different. Most notably, the Iwata I bought based on his recommendation (which I love), he now hammers as too much overspray. :idonno

In one shot, he's got what amounts to a few grand worth of Iwatas, plus his nozzle pressure gauges, etc. Not to mention the wealth of tools on his bench he's standing in front of. Must be nice.

Back