• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

In Another World...The Results!

In Another World...

Keep 'em comin', this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! :yipee

Get out the bug spray and build something cool! :ro:

In Another World...

Mike asked me to put together a panel of the guys from the Master's Forum to do the judging. I'll be asking for volunteers soon. There is one catch! I don't believe that a judge should ever be a participant as well, so, the guys that volunteer will not be contestants!

More later!

Bob

In Another World...

Mike asked me to put together a panel of the guys from the Master's Forum to do the judging. I'll be asking for volunteers soon. There is one catch! I don't believe that a judge should ever be a participant as well, so, the guys that volunteer will not be contestants!

More later!

Bob

I assume that would mean no participation in the prize drawings but does that exclude participating in the build as well?

In Another World...

More later!

Bob

I assume that would mean no participation in the prize drawings but does that exclude participating in the build as well?

If I get a vote I feel that the campaign should be open to everyone, if it's a panel of judges that should keep it fair. Just my opinion, I defer to leadership...

In Another World...

This has been almost a lifetime thing with me. Many years ago, when I was in competition, I watched IPMS judging from a judges point of view. There are two aspects to this.

1) I've heard many judges say they could be fair and impartial when judging their entries as well as their buddies entries. Then i watched them do the exact opposite.

2) Then there is the impression for the other contestants about judges judging their own entries. It is always viewed with skepticism and the cloud of corruption always lingers no matter who is the judge or what that judge does. I have been involved in not only participating in competitions, but judging as well and I have hosted several of the largest shows in America for decades. In the end, judging your own entries simply does not work, it always smacks of bias and corruption.

The Master's members have been asked to volunteer. I would like a panel of four or more of them. When i sent out the emails for volunteers, I specifically said this would be on a voluntary basis only. If they want to participate in the competition, no problem, but they can't be both a judge and a contestant. Nobody will be pressured to volunteer and volunteers will be accepted from the Master's forum only. Besides, as Masters members, there will always be some that consider it unfair for a "master" to enter anyway, although we could endlessly discuss what a "master" really is. I don't necessarily agree that a master's member shouldn't enter, but, it is a fact. Others may disagree with my opinion and, if so, no problem. Enter but you can't judge as well.

I had several top modelers working at VLS and all those years I hosted Mastercon, I had the identical complaints from them. Mastercon was created as a solution to the "Good old Boys" judging at competitions around the country, and even the world.

I'd like to hear some more feedback on this subject. I have an alternative option if all the Masters members are opposed. I so far have two and maybe three volunteers committed three hours after sending out the emails.

Bob

In Another World...

If prizes are given by judging, the judges have to be excluded. That is a no brainer. As you said Bob, anything else taints the judging.

Now if there are one or 2 items that are in a drawing, and you have to finish an entry to have a chance, anyone that builds a kit and finishes it could do that no matter even the judges. The only exclusion would be whoever does the drawing. Like what has been done for the "Call to Arms" campaigns.

Depending on how it is done, it could be a mix of both. Up to you guys!

In Another World...

I personally would hate to see the Masters excluded, just because they are a "Master". I love seeing their ideas & build techniques. They always give me different ideas and inspirations of things to maybe try on my next build. The group here is fairly small anyways, I'd hate to see this build group get dissected down even more. If there is a concern amongst those here about, I could see perhaps Masters being judged as a separate "class".

In Another World...

Paul, I'm not certain how Mike Trent will handle the "prize(s)" as yet, so, we'll see. If it is done as a drawing, then there would be no need for judges. I'm not a "honcho" on this website, I have no authority over anybody and don't want any, so, we'll see how Mike wants to handle it.

Chris B. I retired from competition in 1984. So, I wouldn't be in the competition anyway. I have two other "Masters" commitments to judge and with one more to complete the panel, that will still leave 15 "Masters" that can compete, so, I don't think that will have much of an effect on the overall contest.

Only the four judges are excluded. There are currently 19 Masters Forum members and they are all eligible to compete if they want to. They just can't be judges as well.

Bob

In Another World...

I'm going to build something and exempt myself from being judge, don't think the owner of the site should have a chance for a prize.

Dad I think it would be ok for the Judging Masters to build, they will just be exempt from winning.

In Another World...

I'm going to build something and exempt myself from being judge, don't think the owner of the site should have a chance for a prize.

Dad I think it would be ok for the Judging Masters to build, they will just be exempt from winning.

Well, I've got a couple of emails about just that! I suppose if they will be exempt from winning a prize then that should be sufficient to keep others from feeling cheated. I'm still not certain about how Mike will want the judging to go. If the panel gives the most votes for a Master who is also a judge, then the prize goes to the next non-judge in line? Or, will they just be left out of the judging altogether? I'll leave that one to you guys.

Just let me know.

Bob

In Another World...

Lemme know what you guys want as a ribbon?

I am thinking maybe making a spaceship to reflect those book covers from SciFi books I always loved to read.
something like this
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3927155/560pxl-book-cover-and-visuals.jpg or just something in that kind of spirit.

In Another World...

Here is an idea.

h5eecc05.JPG

In Another World...

That looks pretty cool, Terry, could we make it In Another World? Maybe add some armor so it doesn't look to sci-fi exclusive.

Guys, the aim of this was to get everyone building something fun and outside the lines for some. I offered to kick in a gift certificate to the best, most creative build, Moon Pup said he'd match my amount. :mpup
I asked Bob Letterman to do the selection, as he is well respected in the hobby and would be beyond reproach. I'm building to be a part of things, but I'm not going to be eligible for obvious reasons. All the masters are welcome to join in, I would think you feel as I do regarding the prize.
This really doesn't need to be hard, besides, what do you have to lose? Best part about this campaign is that in addition to a cool ribbon for completed builds, you have a chance at some loot. What's not to like? :eek:hyeah
Oh yeah, no penlights allowed either! :rotf
So pull the sticks out and let's get some ideas flowing.
B)

In Another World...

Hmmm, maybe an RAAF Starfighter... I've got a couple kits in the stash, along w/ extra decals from my Mirage build. The Mirage was selected over F-104, so it would be more of a "what could've been".

In Another World...

I hope to get in on this.

The bench is deep with projects, but this would be a good way to move some kits into the finished column.

In Another World...

It's about three weeks until start date, then with a year duration, I'm hoping some folks build several. You can enter as many times as you like, but remember the builds need to be as good as you can make them.

In Another World...

It's about three weeks until start date, then with a year duration, I'm hoping some folks build several. You can enter as many times as you like, but remember the builds need to be as good as you can make them.

(y)

Back