• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IAR 81C

I'm still back in Feb. 28th :blink but I like the way this project is headed (y)

Modelers' Alliance Official Campaign Time
Friday, 28th February 2014
9:30:pm
:smack

Thanks, guys! Sharkie, the only riveting I've done was with a scriber to replace kit detail that was sanded away. The masters were digitally built and printed out vis stereo lithography of some sort, but the riveting seems to have been done by hand on a resin master. There are raised, circular bumps around each rivet. Some might like the look, but I've opted to smooth them down for a cleaner appearance.

'Duster, are you on the edge of a time zone or something? Maybe... the Twilight Zone? :yipee

Thanks, guys! Sharkie, the only riveting I've done was with a scriber to replace kit detail that was sanded away. The masters were digitally built and printed out vis stereo lithography of some sort, but the riveting seems to have been done by hand on a resin master. There are raised, circular bumps around each rivet. Some might like the look, but I've opted to smooth them down for a cleaner appearance.

'Duster, are you on the edge of a time zone or something? Maybe... the Twilight Zone? :yipee

Why,I'll have you know sir. I always know where I am....... uh, help!

well if it worked you'd see
Model On!! I am

Well, I thought I had subscribed to this but now I realize that I haven't. Gonna remedy that now.

Man, I see all that mind-numbing detail and overwhelmingly incredible work and I feel so deeply inadequate. I almost feel like an intrusion posting on this thread! That is definitely way out of my league. This is such a treat seeing this model coming together Chuck and I am really hoping to see it in person someday.

Love the girls too. I keep waiting to see if one ever takes a seat in the cockpit to flip a few switches and stuff to test your construction....

Mark, you are always welcome, my friend! I consider you to be a core member of this modeling community- cheers!

Here's the latest update- maybe not a whole lot has gotten done, but I will reveal my latest progress and discoveries. Take it away, Lili!

IAR_052.jpg

IAR_053.jpg

IAR_054.jpg

IAR_055.jpg

IAR_056.jpg

IAR_057.jpg

IAR_058.jpg

IAR_059.jpg

IAR_060.jpg

IAR_061.jpg

IAR_062.jpg

Lili_002.jpg

Hi Chuck. Interesting as always . Curious if you have any pictures of the Frankenstein repair.

I'm a bit unclear as to how that worked .

Cheers, Christian B)

Mark, you are always welcome, my friend! I consider you to be a core member of this modeling community- cheers!

Here's the latest update- maybe not a whole lot has gotten done, but I will reveal my latest progress and discoveries. Take it away, Lili!

IAR_052.jpg

IAR_053.jpg

IAR_054.jpg

IAR_055.jpg

IAR_056.jpg

IAR_057.jpg

IAR_058.jpg

IAR_059.jpg

IAR_060.jpg

IAR_061.jpg

IAR_062.jpg

Lili_002.jpg

:notworthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNQOgt6st6w

Sorry Chuck, it had to be said.

Now, great job on correcting that short run. (y)

And I would hope that seam stays put, you freakin' brass nailed the thing!

Interesting with the White Out. I'll store away that little tidbit. Funny, I wasn't sure they still even made White out anymore. Great job on fixing the short shot too! I like to see modelers that don't give up just because of something like that! Too many do!

Excellent! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Chuck - as usual your builds are so inspirational and full of so many tips and techniques. Thanks for sharing, I know my skills have improved just from watching your amazing builds!

On a releated note, I was at the Pasadena Model show a few weeks back and saw your -509 sitting on the table. First thing I have to say is that it looks amazing in person. I know we got to watch the buildup and see the finished photos, but the photos do not do your work justice. And something I always forget, is just how small these little masterpieces are! How did you end up doing BTW?

Thanks again for sharing!
Mike
:drinks

Yes, 1/48 planes are really not that large. Then the 1/48 armor (Kubelwagen) is even smaller. It is a tribute to the fine detail work and crisp photography that Chuck does that makes us believe that his kits are larger than they really are.

I always like following these builds for the interesting ideas for building the kits.

Also Chuck, the quality of the art on your "Pin-up Guide Ladies" is getting better than ever! Thanks so much for the art and the detailed builds. :v

A million thanks! :cheer:

Christian, take a look at that pic. I drilled three holes in each side, aimed horizontally. Then I slipped three brass rods in and, pressing the two halves of the fuselage together, superglued the crap out of 'em. Re-glued the seam, too. As soon as the glue was set I ground and sanded the protruding ends of the rods flush against the fuselage. Now all I have to do is rescribe and re=rivet, and hope the darn thing stays together!

Moon, you crack me up! That's now the official MA movie.

I got the tip from some smart modeler, Bob- I just lucked into the whole lacquer--thinner thing. It does make for quick (and cheap) repairs.

Hey, Mike- what did you have in the show? I wound up taking home a Gold with it. I'm wracking my tiny brain- did we talk? I always go into a fugue state at shows- mental overload! :blush:

Eagle, the 509 feels HUGE compared to this little hot rod- it's friggin' tiny!

Again, to all of you- my sincere thanks. This thing's been gathering dust as I just needed to take a break from it. I went to OrangeCon and spent my dog's college fund- and spent a couple of weekends putting an art book together. All I need now is for the publisher to get back to me about getting it printed! More on that as things actually happen. I think fixing that stabilizer reactivated my modeling mojo- I'm going to get this thing back on track.. Cheers!

Pure awesomeness Chuck as usual. I can never get enough. I said it before and I'll say it again, you should publish your build blogs in a book. I've been hooked on your work since I saw the Helldiver build. I know I would buy one.
James

Hey, Mike- what did you have in the show? I wound up taking home a Gold with it. I'm wracking my tiny brain- did we talk? I always go into a fugue state at shows- mental overload! :blush:

Congrats on the Gold - its truely deserved!
I didn't enter anything at the show. My wife and I came down from the AV and spent the day in Pasedena, so I just did a "drive by" as one the guys in my club up here called it. And no - we didn't talk - so your brain hasn't failed you yet! LOL!

Mike
:drinks

Back