• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-14B VF-102

jknaus

Administrator
Okay this is a placeholder so don't get too excited. I am trying to work myself up to build a 1/32 F-14B from VF-102 Diamondbacks. This will either be subdued or a colour bird. Have a cockpit and just ordered new exhausts and Zactomans intake correction set.
Decals are these.

10101405a2.jpg

Just need to do some research to see how the bombs were carried etc and then put up a start picture. And need to clear some bench space and time. We'll see if it gets beyond my pace holder.
James

You must be nervous as I see no mention of the kit.

Regards,

:rotf

Sorry Saul.

On Hand:
Trumpeter F-14B
Wolf pack Cockpit
Decals as shown.

Ordered:
Zactoman trunk correction
Aires F-14B F-14D Tomcat Exhaust Nozzle Set
Eduard Color PE F-14 Tomcat Formation Light
Eduard Color PE - F-14 Tomcat Placards
Master Model F-14 Tomcat Alfa Probe & Angle of Attack Probe

Now just need the bomb racks and a couple of JDAMs or a couple of Laser Guided bombs.

Looking at my email I may have gotten the wrong exhausts. I was sure I clicked on Trumpeter but the email says Tamiya and the Trumpeter are out of stock. Will see how that works out.
James

Hey James! Nice choice. I have that decal set in 1/48th. I'm positive you'll do an amazing job.

As far as your load out goes, I don't believe the F-14B got JDAM and certainly not in time for the Afghanistan campaign. Load outs were almost typically either 2 GBU-12s or 4 GBU-12s.

I've done a huge amount of research on the F-14s in the middle east campaigns (favorite all time airplane and all!) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey James! Nice choice. I have that decal set in 1/48th. I'm positive you'll do an amazing job.

As far as your load out goes, I don't believe the F-14B got JDAM and certainly not in time for the Afghanistan campaign. Load outs were almost typically either 2 GBU-12s or 4 GBU-12s.

I've done a huge amount of research on the F-14s in the middle east campaigns (favorite all time airplane and all!) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Bummer. Okay I can use them somewhere else sometime. GBU-12s I know for sure so will try the Eduard Brassin ones.

I guess I will be doing this seeing as there is so much interest.
James

It's still a shock to me that they hung bombs under this thing. But it never was a knife edge fighter, just a missile platform so I guess bombs would work also.

It's still a shock to me that they hung bombs under this thing. But it never was a knife edge fighter, just a missile platform so I guess bombs would work also.

Hah ! If you have a laser designator, all you need is a truck to bring the smart ordinance . :captain

Cheers, Christian B)

Go James :rotf

It was done to extend the service life for the bean counters in Congress. They would've likely been axed by the late '90s if they couldn't carry the "multi-role" moniker that was popular at the time. So the changes bought them an extra decade.

Then in the 2000's the carrier fleets were stripped of a lot of their long range defences. They lost their air-air interceptors (F-14s), and they lost their medium & long range anti-submarine warfare capability (S-3s). Close range anti-sub doesn't mean much when there are subs packing anti-ship weaponry that have a 200+mi range. The F/A-18E is significantly slower (M1.8 vs. M2.34) and has a shorter combat radius (450mi vs 575mi). Not much of a replacement to me. Ironically the F/A-18C edges out the E/F for combat radius (460mi). :laugh:

I'm excited to watch this build. The F-14 is one of my favorite birds of all times.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably be asking some silly questions somewhere in this build. I think the only thing left to get for her is the Lantirn pod. That will have to wait a while as I have spent too much already.
Got the cockpit washed and primed yesterday in between working on my AEG G.IV and playing skyrim.
James

Thanks everyone. I'll probably be asking some silly questions somewhere in this build. I think the only thing left to get for her is the Lantirn pod. That will have to wait a while as I have spent too much already.
Got the cockpit washed and primed yesterday in between working on my AEG G.IV and playing skyrim.
James

Can't wait to watch this one, full steam ahead James!

Tell me, what's your impression of the Wolfpack cockpit? I just installed one in my F-16 and I was not really that impressed, the detail in the Aires pits seems way better to me, although I didn't have to thin the plastic to paper thin to get it all to fit, so there's that...

I think its okay but I am still trying to figure out what I have to cut off from the tubs. The instructions are less than enlightening. The seats look good though. As I get into it I'll post pics so you can see. I'm hoping the wheel wells I ordered are going to fit okay with the other sets.
James

Back