• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard's new P-51

I agree with you on FB Big10. As to the rivet issue it can and does happen when on the side of a part that is close to 90 degrees goming out of the mold. I agree that if they are going to put rivets on the kit they should design it so that the rivets show up. I have seen kits where they fade like this and others where the rivet pips in the mold pull lines on the part when it is removed. Someone wasn't thinking it fully through.

Not much to report here. 2 nights to fill and sand the panel lines on the wing. I dont know if I will fill the next one, it's a lot of damn work.

Next is to add the guns, fill those panels and be done with that.

h0e86606.jpg

h6d3fa51.jpg

This is the IP for the kit. It's PE and the dials are all dome shape. Can't tell from the pic but it looks really good.

h707674c.jpg

That panel does look good John. That is Eduard's newer printed panels with the gloss drops over the instruments. I also saw some of the new LOOK panels while at the Nooga Nats. They are really crisp, sharp and have a lot of depth to them.

I agree with the wing. Would be nice if they put both ways in the kit and you choose what you want

So I am playing around with RubNBuff.

If you wanted a highly polished airframe, this is the way to go. Applied the RubNBuff with finger and let dry and really buffed with my Dremel. Be careful because you will burn plastic

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOOO :pilot

Are you on a primer coat or right on the plastic?

Right onto the plastic. It's shiny as all get out. More than I ever got out of Alclad. My plastic prep is a little less than desired as even the tiniest scratch shows up.

I'm intrigued... :hmmm

OK so I know that NMF aircraft were not this shinny in the field, but, it starts shinny then we can dirty up. :coolio

Man,this is airshow shiny, lol. I don't even think they came from the factory this shiny. I'm not even sure yet how I am going to dirty this up. I've only done one side and it's very easy to remove.

I'm afraid that sealing would dull the luster. I plan on experimenting with this to see what I can use. I know my normal washes will not work. Going to try pastels and certain ink pins.

I will keep you informed of my finding.

Do you have the Modelmaster Metalcoat sealer? Rhino on another thread was singing it's phrases.

John since we're talking about dirtying up shiny stuff I'll share this.

This was the Pinup Campaign back in 2015.

https://www.modelersalliance.org/forum/pin-up-wings/150410-another-jug-finished?start=60#226003

h55c38d8.jpg

This started with a mirror shine on it.

I like the way that p-47 turned out. I did pick me up some of that sealer.

I was not too happy with the results of the RubNBuff so I went a different route. I have a few bottles of Model Masters and Mr. Color metallizers. I started with a black primed surface and not too shiny, dip brush in the metalizer and let dry. Once mostly dry I would dry brush on to the surface in random patterns.

I now have a look that greatly resembles a WWII looking Mustang.

h402b474.jpg

hc42343d.jpg

And the scheme I am building.
hee83cb5_2019-08-27.jpg

Back